Adding or Editing Sidebar Navigation
- From the LiveWhale interface, click the “Pages” tab.
- If you have not yet created a navigation for your group, you will be prompted to create one for the first time.
- To create a new navigation, enter a title, a relative path to the home directory (containing pages to be added to this navigation), and check the main navigation checkbox. Marking a navigation as the “default navigation” will ensure that it displays by default when clicking the “Pages” tab. Click “Save these changes” to save your new navigation.
- The navigation screen previews your navigation similar to how it would display on the web site.
- On the navigation screen, the navigation’s home directory, id, and edit details link (used to change the title or home directory) are listed along the top.
- Use “create a new navigation” link to add an additional navigation. If your group already has more than one navigation, a drop-down will appear, allowing you to switch between them. (see #6 above)
- To add items to your navigation, click “Add a top-level page or link”. (see #7 above)
- Using the drop-down select menu choose one of the navigation options. You may also click the link to create a new page and automatically add it to the menu. Once you’ve made a selection and filled out any additional fields, click the button to save your new item, and it will be added to the navigation. (see #8 above)
- To add a new navigation item as a submenu item, beneath an existing one, click “Add sub-link” next to the item that should contain your new entry, and follow the same steps. (see #9 above)
- To rename a menu item, click the “Rename” link to the right of its title.
- To hide a menu item, click the “Hide” link to toggle its visibility.
- To remove a menu item entirely, click the “Remove” link.
- The reorder menu items, use the crosshairs icon to drag the menu item to its new position.
- When changes have been made to your navigation, a save button will appear allowing you to save your changes.
Adding existing pages to your navigation
There are times when you have a page under the “Your Pages” sub tab, under the “Pages” main tab in your group’s dashboard, but it is not in the “Navigation” sub tab. This happens if you add a page under “Your Pages”, or when you add a page under “Navigation” but do not click the “Save these changes” button for the navigation afterwards.
To add one of these “rogue group pages” to the sidebar navigation follow these instructions: adding an existing group page to the navigation.