Once a student has completed the Public Accommodation Request or a Supplemental Accommodation Request (for those students already registered with the Office of Disability Resources), ODR staff will schedule a meeting with the student to discuss the impact of the disability and their disability-related barriers in relation to timed assessments.
As a part of the interactive process that takes place during this meeting, the ODR may determine that testing accommodations are a necessary and effective accommodation. Testing accommodations are designed to mitigate any barriers that a student with a disability may experience in a test-taking environment/situation and are approved on an individualized, case-by-case basis. Common testing accommodations that ODR may approve for students can include, but are not limited to:
- Reduced distraction test taking environment
- Extended time
- Use of a computer for written responses
- Reader or text-to-speech program
- Use of a Calculator
- Use of a closed-circuit television (CCTV)
- Screen reading software program
- Screen magnification software program
- Tests printed in large font
2020 – 2021 Remote Exam Accommodation Administration
For exams and quizzes administered via Moodle, faculty are responsible for logging in to Accommodate and reviewing their class roster(s) to determine who has extended time for exams/quizzes in order to adjust the administration time accordingly within Moodle.
Moodle’s website has a guide on how to provide extended time accommodations on Moodle for students with approved testing accommodations. Once you set up an exam/quiz, go into the exam/quiz and select “User Overrides” from the Admin Menu. Then select the student who needs the extended time accommodation and set the appropriate override. For example, if the time limit for a quiz is 20 minutes for all students, then a student with “Extended Time for Exams 1.5x” should be given a time limit of 30 minutes.
For questions regarding Moodle, please contact the Teaching Learning Technology Center (TLTC).
How to Check Which Accommodations Students Have
Please note: The list of students with accommodations in your class(es) will change as students renew their accommodations or students new to working with ODR are approved for accommodations.
- Log in to Accommodate using your Purchase College username and password. The Faculty Accommodate Login page can also be accessed via ‘Faculty And Staff Resources.’
- Click on the “Courses” tab in the left-hand sidebar.
- Click on your course’s name.
- Click on “Enrolled Students”.
- Scroll through the list of students in your course. Any student(s) with accommodations will have their accommodations listed directly underneath their name(s).
The Testing Center is not proctoring exams for 2021-21. For the Spring 2021 semester, this means students will not be scheduling testing accommodation appointments via Accommodate with the Testing Center. Faculty will no longer get a notification them that a student is requesting to use their accommodations for an exam or quiz. Therefore, unless your Professor gives you different instructions, if you have a timed test or quiz in an online course, the ODR is requesting that students either:
- Send a reminder e-mail 48-hours in advance to the Professor of your online course to indicate your intent to use your extended time accommodation for tests and quizzes; or:
- E-mail ODR (email@example.com) 48 hours in advance, the course name, date of your test or quiz, and request that ODR send an e-mail to the Professor to indicate your intent to use your extended time accommodation for tests and quizzes in that specific course. ODR will reach out to your Professor on your behalf.
If you have an in-person exam or quiz that needs to be proctored, please contact ODR immediately to discuss proctoring options.
If you are approved to receive text-to-speech as an accommodation for exams, you can use ReadSpeaker, a text-to-speech program that is integrated into Moodle. The controls for ReadSpeaker are located at the top-left corner of every Moodle page. If you experience any technical difficulty with ReadSpeaker, please contact our office immediately for assistance.
Please note that ReadSpeaker is designed to work with all exams and quizzes in Moodle, including those that utilize the Lockdown Browser extension. No other text-to-speech programs will work when Lockdown Browser is active. Read Aloud Extension for Google Chrome can continue to be used to read website text aloud, but it will not read aloud exams and quizzes in Moodle if Lockdown Browser is active.