Requesting Accessible Campus Housing

The learning environment and residential living are central to the Purchase College experience. The Office of Disability Resources (ODR) collaborates with the Office of Community Engagement to coordinate accessible campus housing for students with disabilities that impact one’s living situation. When requesting a housing modification, applicants are expected to have already applied for Purchase college housing and have met all eligibility requirements and payment deadlines.

Reasonable and appropriate modifications depend upon the disability, the housing environment, and the steps necessary
to create equal access for one’s living situation. Requested modifications will not be granted if it is deemed unreasonable or unwarranted. Requests for housing modifications should be made to the ODR as soon as possible. Students that qualify for disability-related housing accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the subsequent Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as amended in 2008, will receive any such accommodations without any additional charge. 

Please be advised that single rooms are reserved for individuals with specific needs that can only be met in single spaces. The housing modification process considers access for living purposes only and not for other aspects of the college experience, such as studying.  

Requested Submission Dates
Fall Semester submit by:  June 1st
Spring Semester submit by:  November 15th
Summer Session submit by:  March 15th

Housing spaces at Purchase College are limited. As spaces are assigned to all students, fewer options exist for reasonable modifications to be made. Therefore, requests for housing modifications are asked to adhere to the above submission dates. The college reserves the right to request updated documentation every academic year to verify the continued need for accessible campus housing.

To properly evaluate how Purchase College can best meet the student’s need for reasonable modifications in college housing facilities, the College requires information from both the student submitting the request and their treatment professional. Download the guidelines and form below:

The individual making the request for an accessible housing accommodation should complete and provide both Sections A and B of the Request for Accessible Housing form as soon as practicably possible before moving into College housing. However, if the request for accommodation is made fewer than 60 days before the individual intends to move into College housing, Purchase College cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy.

If the need for accessible campus housing arises when an individual already resides in College housing, they should contact ODR and complete the steps to request a housing accommodation as soon as practicably possible. Purchase College cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the accommodation needs during the semester or term in which the request is received.

Emotional Support Animals

Students seeking a modification to have an emotional support animal in their residence are required to first submit their disability-related information via a Public Accommodation Request. The ODR will then e-mail the student via their Purchase College e-mail account to discuss the next steps regarding the College’s Emotional Support Animal Procedure and Guidelines.

Please note that emotional support animals are not allowed in campus housing until the modification is approved by the ODR and all steps in the Emotional Support Animal Procedure and Guidelines are completed.