What Are Adjustments?
Adjustments (also known as “accommodations”) are changes made to the academic programs and activities provided by the College to provide equal access to students with disabilities. Adjustments may include auxiliary aids and services, which are devices or services that enable individuals with disabilities to receive information and effectively communicate with others.
All adjustments at Purchase College, including auxiliary aids and services, must be authorized by the Office of Disability Resources and are determined through an established review process based on documentation received and a student’s narrative of his or her experience of disability, barriers, and effective and ineffective adjustments.
- Any student with a disability may be eligible to receive adjustments from the Office of Disability Resources (ODR)
- Adjustments are designed to reduce or eliminate any barriers that may exist because of an individual’s disability
- Having and using adjustments does not ensure success. Rather, adjustments promote non-discrimination and create opportunities for equal access
- Adjustments are determined through an established review process based on documentation received and a student’s narrative of his or her experience of disability, barriers, and effective and ineffective adjustments
- In order to access adjustments, students must disclose their disability to the ODR and indicate what adjustments they are requesting
Reasonable adjustments do not and should not:
- substantially alter the educational standards or mission of Purchase College;
- fundamentally alter the nature of the program, course, service, activity, and/or practice/policy;
- allow access to a program when a student is not otherwise qualified (with or without adjustments) to meet the academic and technical standards required for admission or participation in an educational program, course, services, and/or activity;
- cause undue financial hardship;
- be of personal service in nature (personal aid, individually paid tutor, etc.);
- pose a direct threat to the health and safety of the student with a disability or others as a result of adjustment implementation.
Adjustment requests that appear to be reasonable and logical based on a diagnosis or condition but fall under one of the categories listed above may not be approved. This decision will be made by the ODR following review and possible input from relevant Purchase College staff and faculty.
How Do I Request Adjustments?
For information on the process of requesting adjustments, please refer to the following pages: