EOP, MAP, and Office of the Ombudsman
Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) and Merit Access Program (MAP)
The EOP and MAP programs provide access for motivated students from educationally and/or economically disadvantaged backgrounds to pursue a college degree. Students are offered financial assistance, tutoring, and counseling to help them set and achieve their goals. Faculty members are encouraged to call or stop by the EOP/MAP Office any time they wish to discuss the progress of EOP or MAP students.
Office of the Ombudsman
The EOP/MAP director also serves as the ombudsman for Purchase College students, including helping them navigate the campus disciplinary system, assisting those who are experiencing difficulties using administrative services, and helping negotiate the complicated world of higher education finance.
- listen nonjudgmentally and discuss questions, issues, and concerns
- help evaluate options
- explain college policies and procedures
- make appropriate referrals when necessary
- empower students to address their concerns and problems
- bring patterns of problems or complaints to campus administrators
- make administrative decisions for Purchase College
- judge or assign innocence or guilt to those accused of violating the college’s Student Code of Conduct
- give legal advice
- process work orders for campus residence repairs
- become involved in grade disputes
Sometimes a student may not know where to go for certain kinds of help. The following are examples of concerns that students might bring to the ombudsman for assistance:
- A student has consulted with staff members in the Office of Student Financial Services, but still cannot meet the costs of college.
- A student has been accused of violating a part of the Student Code of Conduct and wants advice from an objective professional who is not involved in the disciplinary process.
- A student feels that he or she has been treated poorly by a college employee and wants to formally bring this concern to the attention of the college administration.