Counseling and Behavioral Health Services
The Counseling Center offers a range of confidential, professional mental health services for students at no cost. Please refer to Faculty and Staff link on the Counseling Center’s site for more information. Any student experiencing psychological distress may be referred. All students may seek crisis response and Campus Advocacy Services for matters related to sexual assault and interpersonal violence. Matriculated students may seek short-term individual counseling, group counseling, substance use counseling and psychiatric consultation services. Non matriculated students may obtain consultation for immediate needs and referrals to area resources. A full range of mental health symptoms, crises, situational concerns, behavioral health and developmental problems are addressed through collaborative sessions. The CBHS is staffed by experienced clinicians licensed by New York State.
If you are concerned about a student and would like assistance, you may:
- request a therapist consultation to develop a plan for referral or interventions: (914) 251-6390
- refer the student directly to the Counseling Center, providing our contact information; please call or let us know via email at COU.email@example.com when you refer a student
- ask us to contact a student on your behalf; we provide same-day outreach
- notify the Counseling Center about your concerns through Starfish flags; Starfish is located under “Academics” on the faculty/staff portal
- escort a student to the Counseling Center in HUM LL for an emergency appointment. This is appropriate for a student whom you have reason to believe may have been sexually assaulted, or a student experiencing a mental health crisis.
- call the University Police at (914) 251-6911 for assistance with students exhibiting behaviors that may render them unsafe or unable to control themselves. University Police conduct safety checks and respond to emergency calls and are the only campus entity capable of mandating transports to a hospital for emergency mental health care.
Any contact that we may have with referred students will be kept confidential to protect their rights and privacy, unless they give written permission to inform you of their participation.
All students may participate in the free health promotion and stress reduction activities offered at the Harbor Center for Health Promotion in Fort Awesome. Mindfulness, meditation, yoga, health promotion internships and community building are programmed from our 3 large spaces in Fort Awesome. If you would like to schedule a class or a substance-free event in Fort Awesome rooms 135,136 or 138, please call (914)251-6390