At Purchase College, we are committed to providing equal and effective electronic and information technology access to all individuals. We must create, obtain, and maintain electronic documents, websites, media, software, and hardware in a manner that ensures it is accessible.
In order to better help our community and follow the law, we must comply with ADA Accessibility regulations whenever Purchase College distributes content, whether by email, pdf, Word document, or webpage. This requirement applies to all online Purchase College materials on local or third party systems. SUNY State University of New York - Accessibility & Disability Compliance - Web Accessibility.
What is accessible technology?
Accessible content raises course pass rate for students. Accessible electronic and information technology is technology that can be accessed by people with a wide range of abilities and disabilities. When technology has been developed with accessibility in mind, incorporating the principles of universal design, all users are able to interact with the technology in the ways that work best for them. Accessible technology may be usable without assistive technology or may be compatible with standard assistive technology such as screen readers.
How do I make my content accessible?
This website provides you with step-by-step guides for making particular types of content accessible. Consult the pages here that are most relevant for the technologies you’re using.
- PDF: Using the Acrobat X Pro Accessibility Checker
- Microsoft Office: Rules for the Accessibility Checker
- Microsoft Office: Use the Accessibility Checker on your Windows desktop to find accessibility issues
- Microsoft Word: Make your Word documents accessible
- Powerpoint: Make your PowerPoint presentations accessible
- Websites: Check your WebPage for accessibility with the WAVE Web Accessibility Tool
- Videos: Making Accessible Videos
- Multimedia: W3C Multimedia Accessibility FAQ
Where do I get help?
If you are having any issues with electronic accessibility please go to our Report Accessibility Barriers page.
The Purchase College website help section has accessibility tips and tricks through out it’s pages.
If you are a student and need help finding resources related to disability accommodations or other disability-related services, see Office of Disability Resources.