Purchase College is committed to diversity and inclusivity. Our goal is to provide an accessible and welcoming environment to all faculty, staff, students and visitors. To meet this goal, all should have the opportunity to attend and participate in events.
Purchase College strives to engage all members of the Purchase College Community in creating and furthering accessible programs, services, and activities. Events that are accessible benefit those with visible and known disabilities but also benefit those with less obvious disabilities or those who choose not to disclose their disability.
Please familiarize yourself with in-person as well as virtual event guidelines.
When Advertising Your Event:
Include the required statement in advertisements, invitations, and notices:
Individuals requiring accommodations for equal access to this event are encouraged to contact [event organizer’s e-mail address] as soon as possible so that a good faith effort can be made by the organizers to meet the identified needs.
- Event advertisements, invitations, and notices must be published a minimum of 10 business days prior to an event to allow time for persons with disabilities to seek reasonable accommodations to participate.
- Event organizers must follow up on all accommodation requests received.
- Your department is responsible for all costs related to accommodations.
- Event organizers can obtain assistance in arranging for accommodations by contacting the Accessibility Committee.
- Event organizers should document accommodation requests and all related communication.
- Made sure materials that will be distributed electronically are accessible to those who rely on text-to-speech and/or screen reader programs?
- Made sure your video materials and/or presentations are captioned?
- Arranged for ASL interpreters if requested by an attendee?
- Checked the acoustics before booking the venue?
- Sent slides, readings, charts, graphs, etc. to attendees in advance to those who may not be able to view materials projected or disseminated during the event?
- Designated a person onsite whose primary role is to further assist those who have requested accommodations as well those who may need assistance?