Purchase College is committed to diversity and inclusivity. Our goal is to provide an accessible and welcoming environment to all faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To meet this goal, all should have the opportunity to attend and participate in events.
Purchase College strives to have the college community engaged and sharing in the responsibility for accessibility to programs, services, and activities. Creating events that are accessible to attendees benefits those with visible or known disabilities as well as those with less obvious disabilities, such as chronic medical conditions.
For information on required and recommended practices, please click on the subpage hyperlinks in the sidebar of this page.
When Advertising Your Event:
- Include the required statement in advertisements, invitations, and notices:
“Individuals requiring accommodations for equal access to this event should contact [event organizer’s e-mail address] a minimum of 5 business days prior to the event.”
- Event advertisements, invitations, and notices must be published a minimum of 10 business days prior to an event to allow time for persons with disabilities to seek reasonable accommodations to participate.
- Event organizers must follow up on all accommodation requests received. Event organizers can obtain assistance in arranging for accommodations by contacting the Accessibility Committee.
- Event organizers should log all communication and accommodations made for each accommodation request.
- Made sure materials that will be distributed electronically are accessible to those who are reliant on text-to-speech and/or screen reader programs?
- Made sure your video materials or presentations are captioned?
- Arranged for ASL interpreters to attend if requested as an accommodation by an attendee?
- Checked the acoustics within the event environment to ensure minimal background noise?
- Sent slides, readings, charts, graphs, etc. to attendees in advance who may not be able to view screens?
- Made sure there will be a person onsite whose primary role is to further assist those who have requested accommodations as well those who did not request accommodations but who may need assistance?
Note: All virtual events that are open to the public (beyond Purchase College employees and students) must be live captioned during the event.
Contact CTS to arrange for use of the captioning tool and visit the Zoom Video Conferencing page to learn more.