Working in The School of Humanities
Welcome to Purchase! We are excited to have you joining The School of Humanitites team.
In order to access some of the Purchase College Systems, you first need to activate you email. You Purchase college credentials will give you access to Moodle, Myheliptope, grade submission, midterm warnings, etc.
To activate your email account:
- go to the Email Activation site.
- At the next screen, select “Activate your account for the first time”.
- Read the policies and select “I agree”.
- Follow the instructions on the following page.
If you need assistance activating your email account, you can contact the CTS Help Desk for Tech Support:
Monday - Friday: 8:00AM - 4:45PM
Moodle is the learning platform or Course Management System (CMS) used at Purchase College. It can help you create a personalized learning environment for your course.
The link to Moodle can be found in the Quick Links dropdown on the right hand side of the Faculty and Staff page.
Once your credentials have been created and your name has been added to a course, you will find your course listed in Moodle.
If you need help setting up your course in Moodle or have any questions about the Moodle platform, please contact TLTC@purchase.edu.
MyHeliotrope is where you will be able to find your class lists, submit final grades, submit midterm warnings, override a student into a course, etc. User guides for using any of the MyHeliotrope services can be found of the Registrar’s Faculty and Staff Page.
At the end of each semester, students will receive an email with a link inviting them to evaluate your course. The link is available for one week. You can encourage your students to complete the evaluation by adding a link to your Moodle course page. You may also give them time to complete the evaluation during your class time.
If you’d like, you can ask your students to provide additional feedback in whatever format you’d find helpful (e.g. comments of the form, your own Moodle questionnaire, email, etc.).
To add a link to to the course evaluations on your page:
- Log in to Moodle
- Select the semester in the “Course List” box on the left.
- Select the course, you wish to add the student evaluation module to.
- Turn editing on by clicking the “Turn Editing on” button on the top right hand side.
- Select Add an activity or resource in the Week 0 area at the top of the screen.
- Select the External Tool activity under the list of Activities.
- Fill in Course evaluations as the Activity name.
- Make sure to select the Class Climate option from the preconfigured tool pull-down menu.
- Click Save and return to course.
As you plan your teaching materials, please refer to the Faculty Handbook for guidance on syllabus requirements, textbook orders, etc.
The syllabus should contain at least the following:
- the instructor’s contact information and, when required, office hours
- a list of books and/or materials that students are required to purchase
- the instructional objectives of the course
- attendance, plagiarism and student conduct policies
- the grading policy, including a schedule for quizzes, papers, examinations, and the final examination, along with the relative weights that are assigned to each in determining the final grade
- an outline of the subject areas to be covered
- student learning outcomes for the course
- Purchase College’s accessibility statement
Please feel free to reach out to the Director, Aviva Taubenfeld, and/or your department head if you have any questions as you prepare. We’d be happy to look at syllabus/assignment drafts and answer any questions. The Humanities Office’s wonderful staff, Odile Delgado, Assistant to the Director, and Lizz Elvira, Administrative Assistant/Event Coordinator, will also help with onboarding and provide support throughout the semester.
Faculty Mailboxes are located in Humanities 1053; however due to reduced staff on campus, mail will delivered to Humanities 1048 weekly on Fridays. Your ID will be programmed to allow you to get into this room and retrieve mail. If you have trouble with access, please contact Odile.
Trash will not be collected from your office. Please make sure to empty your office trash into the central garbage bin located on each floor.
There is a shared Kitchen and Pantry located in Humanities 1049. For more information please contact Lizz or Odile.
There is a lactation room located in Humanities 2050 that is available to nursing mothers. If you would like to use the space please contact Kathleen Farrell, Chief Human Resources Officer via email: email@example.com or phone x5961.
Your More Card is your ID and it can give access to classrooms, building, and it also allows you to use the following services:
- Meal Plans for use at dining locations
- Dining Dollars for use at dining locations, the More Store, and vending machines
- Purchase Loop Shuttles
- Library Rentals
- Equipment Rentals from Campus Technology Services
- Athletics Gym
- Lab Access (available based on course of study)
- Discounts for performances at the Performing Arts Center
- Free student airport shuttle rides to Westchester County Airport
You can obtain your More Card from the Parking and Card Office located in Campus Center North, Room 1014. More information can be found on the More Card Office page.
All motor vehicles brought on campus must be registered with the Office of Parking and Transportation located in Campus Center North, Room 1014. The annual vehicle registration fee is currently $16 per vehicle.
To buy a parking hangtag in person at the Office of Parking and Transportation, you will need the following:
- Your valid Purchase College ID card (More Card)
- The vehicle registration – and specifically the vehicle’s make, model, and license plate number
- Your $16 payment: cash, check, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover only)
To order a parking hangtag on line:
Log in to My Heliotrope (found in list of QuickLinks on Faculty/Staff Portal page.
Click on “Browse”
Select “Banner” from the drop-down menu.
Select “Personal Information” from the “Banner” menu.
Select “Parking Options” from the “Personal Information” menu.
Once on the MyParking homepage, click on “Apply for a Permit”
Select the permit you wish to purchase. Once you have completed the process, you will be directed to a confirmation page.
A Xerox machine is available in HUM 1052 so you can scan or copy documents.
In order to access the copy machine, you will need use the key located in the pantry. You can access the pantry by using your More Card. If you have problems with access, please contact Odile Delgado-Lamarre.
- Logging in to the Xerox Machine:
- If you need Log in Credentials for the Xerox machine, please contact Lizz Elvira.
Please note: The copy machine in HUM 1052 cannot make accessible PDF files. If you need to make a PDF scan of a file for your course, please use the scanners located in the Library. If you need assistance on using the scanners, please contact Rebecca Oling.
Paydays are bi-monthly and fall on Wednesdays. The payroll schedule can be found here. Please note that all paychecks are on a 2-week lag. If your contract begins on 1/22, you can expect your first paycheck by 2/17.
It is highly recommended that you sign up for direct deposit. If you are a retuning adjunct, please remember that you will need to complete a Direct Deposit Reactivation Form in order to have your checks deposited.
Direct Deposit forms are available via the Purchase College SharePoint Collaboration website. If you cannot access the site or download the form, please contact either Beth Goula, Payroll Coordinator, at 914-251-5905 or Robin Farrell, Payroll Manager, at 914-251-6096 and they’ll provide you with a copy of the form.
If you opt-out of direct deposit, you may pick up your paycheck from the Payroll office located on the third floor of Campus Center South.
Also, if you do not wish to receive your advices, you can go paperless through the NYS Payroll online system.
To access the NYS Payroll Online Service, you will need to sign on to the HR portal. To access the Portal:
- Click on the Timesheet link that can be found under Quick Links on the Faculty and Staff page.
- Click on the NYS Payroll Online icon.
NYS Payroll Online
- Complete the verification processes the first time you log in with your nine-digit NYS Employee ID, which is found on your pay statement.
- Select Opt Out of paper statements
All staff and faculty are required to complete monthly timesheets. Even if you have not missed any days, you must submit these timesheets. You will receive a monthly reminder from the Human Resources Department.
To complete timesheets:
- Sign on to the HR Portal by clicking on the Timesheet link that can be found under Quick Links on the Faculty and Staff page.
- Select “Purchase College” and click log in.
- Enter your Purchase credentials and click login.
- In the box labeled “Self Service,” click “Time and Attendance”.
- Your employment status will read “current”. Click “Time and Attendance”.
- Under Accrual Period, select the month that you have just completed. For example, if it is October, select September.
- On the calendar, click on a specific day to record any charged time.
- Once days have been entered as needed, click the box next to “I certify that this time report represents a correct accounting for the specified period”.
- Click “Submit to Supervisor”
If you need assistance, you can contact Susan Ciliberti, Time and Attendance Coordinator, at 914-251-6057.
The book store is located in the center of campus across from Einstein Bros. Bagels. The bookstore manager can be reached by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 914–251–6972.
You can contact them for your book adoption needs.
You may also submit textbook adoptions online, as well as access other resources, including:
- Research relevant materials for your course.
- Search and adopt non-traditional materials such as YouTube videos, open education resources, and MOOC content.
- Access Follett Discover from your LMS to research and adopt course materials. This information is immediately sent to the campus store.
The three-step process is simple:
- Login to Moodle.
- Select Follett Discover from the Main Menu.
- Start discovering!