The Office of Disability Resources (ODR) engages in an interactive process with each student to review requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis. Depending on the nature and functional limitations of a student’s documented disability, students with certain disability-related needs may be eligible to receive priority registration. The purpose of priority registration is to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to academic courses.
Priority registration allows a student to register for classes on the first day of registration each semester. This provides the opportunity to arrange a schedule (to the greatest extent possible) that is suitable based on their disability-related needs.
Students who may qualify for priority registration include:
- Students with mobility disabilities or those who work with personal assistants;
- Students following a strict medication or treatment regimen;
- Students who are approved for alternate media for printed materials;
- Students with energy limitations who require a specific schedule;
- Students who use interpreters or captioning services.
Priority registration does not override any College or departmental policies such as the need to meet with an academic advisor, removal of any holds (e.g., Student Financial Services), etc. In addition, priority registration does not guarantee the provision of classes at specific times.
- Meet with your academic advisor prior to the registration date to determine an appropriate class schedule and receive your PIN number.
- Check your status on myHeliotrope to ensure there are no holds (e.g., Student Financial Services) that may prevent you from registering.
- Register for your classes using myHeliotrope.
- IMPORTANT: While students will have continuous access to register for classes beyond the registration start date, choosing to register late may result in a seat in the class no longer being available.
- Provide students with information regarding registration dates each semester. Students will receive an e-mail reminder from the ODR 2-3 weeks prior to the registration date each semester (for specific dates, please refer to the Registrar’s website).
- Resolve any issues that arise regarding this accommodation.
For additional questions regarding priority registration, please contact:
Office of Disability Resources
Student Services Building, 3rd Floor #316A
735 Anderson Hill Road, Purchase, NY 10577