Web Initiatives & Updates
Purchase College is committed to removing barriers and making content accessible to all visitors.
During the last year when state resources were restricted due to COVID-19, Purchase College secured funds to address structural changes to the content management system (CMS) and devoted human capital to removing barriers and improving accessibility. This project was a major endeavor and completed in early November 2020.
Completed in 2020
Home Page, Dual Image Layouts, and Custom Landing Pages
- Increased accessibility with imagery.
- Increased accessibility on mobile devices.
- Made off-screen content accessible.
- Addressed sequencing, tabbing, and visual focus (site-wide but most often experienced here).
- Addressed links, dropdowns, and checkboxes.
- Addressed contrast issues, tiny text, and monthly calendar view.
- Restyled links so a physical change, and not color alone, now indicates links.
- Removed duplicate links or coded links so screen readers skip when text is adjacent to an image.
- Remediated ‘keep reading’ links and other non-descript links with rich copy for screen readers.
- Simplified complicated tables.
- Implemented a header row to further assist those with screen readers.
- Removed inaccessible pdfs from site.
- Made messaging for required fields dynamic.
- Added accessible parking and entrances.
- Met with athletics web team to discuss accessibility standards for new website.
- Removed videos without closed captioning or captioned videos.
Completed in 2021
- Published Event Accessibility Guidelines.
- Published Social Media Accessibility Guidelines.
- Restyled events on calendar to show border on roll-over so a physical change, and not color alone, indicates that the event boxes are linked.
- Improved social media icon accessibility with physical change of border on roll-over.
- Upgraded CMS to LiveWhale 1.71 and resolved accessibility issues as it related to Purchase’s templates, widgets, and content.
- Completed a project with the CMS vendor to increase accessibility with image galleries.
- Content editors continue to create accessibility errors.
- Purchase College may be dependent on external webmasters to correct errors.
- As a result of the aforementioned challenges, maintaining a barrier-free and accessible website is often a moving target.
Tactics to Resolve
- Continue to work with CMS vendor on accessibility issues as new items are identified and as new versions of the CMS are released.
- Contact CMS editors as issues are identified.
- Remove access for those who have not attended Annual LiveWhale CMS Review training.
Current & Ongoing Work
- Currently engaged with vendor on adding accessible pathways to campus map.
- Ongoing updates to templates and widgets to best address the needs of those with disabilities as well as identify content that presents barriers.
- Continue to educate content editors on the best way to present content through the Annual CMS Review training, onboarding training, and related workshops and communication.
- Currently engaged in creating a self-serve portal for Annual LiveWhale CMS Review training.