Purchase College is invested in improving the efficiency of its campus fleet and providing opportunities for sustainable transit.
Greening our fleet
With over 80 vehicles ranging from cars, vans, trucks, and snow plows, the environmental impact of modernizing is significant. The College is retiring from its fleet the older, less reliable vehicles and has already replaced two with hybrids, and eleven with electric. We will continue on this path as older vehicles age out from the fleet. To support these types of vehicles, the College has installed six electric vehicle charging stations, two of which are available to the campus community. These electric vehicle charging stations can fully charge a vehicle in about three hours and are located in various parking locations.
Sustainable Travel and Commuting
- Purchase provides a free shuttle, the Loop, to our campus community to and from Port Chester and White Plains. The shuttle schedule as well as additional information can be found on the Parking and Transportation website.
- The Westchester County Bee-line stops at Purchase bus stops to local cities such as White Plains, Armonk and Port Chester for a fee.
- Purchase is a member of the 511NY Rideshare program that allows commuters to connect with neighbors to ride-share and reduce the inefficiency of single drivers. As a member, there is a Guaranteed Ride Guarantee. This program serves all of New York state and is sponsored by the Department of Transportation.
- Our on-campus partner, ZipCar, allows for students to reserve an on-demand, self-service car. The ZipCar locations are directly on campus in the Central 4 and East 3 parking lots. This car-share program allows anyone to “rent” a car for a trip when there is not access to a personal car. There are currently two available cars, removing the emissions of more than 40 privately owned vehicles on campus.
- Riding a bicycle is a great way to be active and is not only sustainable but time efficient in getting to, from and around campus. Find more resources on the Parking and Transportation website.