Disciplinary System Structure
Academic integrity cases are handled by faculty and the Academic Standards and Awards Committee. Alleged violations of the academic integrity standards must be reported to the chair of the Academic Integrity Committee.
Structure of Disciplinary System
The discipline system provides for the adjudication of alleged offenses, by either administrative and/or committee action, depending on the nature of the offense and/or the preference of the accused. Specifically, the system consists of:
1. Initial conference officer(s): In cases involving academic integrity, the instructor/faculty member alleging the violation serves as the initial conference officer.
2. Academic Integrity Committee: An Academic Integrity Committee is formed, as-needed, by the Academic Standards and Awards Committee and hears cases arising from alleged violations of the Standards of Academic Integrity. This includes:
- requests for hearings by students disputing allegations or sanctions
- referrals by instructors/complainants recommending additional, non-academic disciplinary sanctions for an alleged violation (i.e. suspension or expulsion)
- all cases in which the alleged violation would constitute a second offense
- all first or second offense cases involving allegations which occurred outside a course/traditional classroom setting and/or were reported by someone other than an instructor of record
[See Composition of Hearing Committees for more details]
3. The provost of the college: The provost shall, for specified grounds only, hear all appeals of discipline decisions rendered the Academic Integrity Committee.
4. The president of the college: In accordance with the authority assigned to the president of the college by the policies of the Board of Trustees of the State University of New York, the president may review and modify any decision made by any person or board operating under their authority under this policy as he or she deems appropriate. Any consultation with the president of the college which may be necessary will occur before the final decision is reached.