Revisions to Existing Programs

Many program revisions require only campus approval. These revisions are approved by the program Chair and submitted to the Associate Provost’s office, using an Internal Program Revision form. The Internal Program Revision form is available on  Sharepoint Collaborate, and from the Associate Provost’s office by contacting .

Program Revisions Requiring External Approval from SUNY and New York State Department of Education (NYSED)

Some changes to the curriculum are more substantive and require an extra layer of approval that goes beyond the campus approval process. For a complete list of changes that require state approval, consult with the Associate Provost’s office or refer to SUNY program revision form (3A). This information is also available on our Collaborate site. 

Curricular Revisions Requiring Middle States Approval

Certain changes in curriculum require  request for Substantive Change from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).  For more information please visit their website.  In addition, please review the Substantive Change Guidelines on the Middle States website for details.

New Academic Programs

Faculty should consult with the Associate Provost on any new major programs that are being proposed. Please note that all new academic majors require state approval after local approval by Academic Councils and EPC. Our office will provide guidance in completing the  appropriate SUNY forms.  Helpful information for new program/major proposals is available in SUNY’s Guide to Academic Program Planning and on SUNY’s Links to Online Resources site. 

New Minors

Proposals for new minors are not submitted to SUNY for approval but must be approved by faculty governance (Educational Policies Committee, EPC) and the Associate Provost. The process of approval requires the completion of a minor proposal form

New Course Proposals 

New course proposal forms are available on the Registrar’s website.  Please note: these forms are submitted to the Registrar for approval, unless the course being proposed also results in a change in academic program requirements, in which case the  Associate Provost’s office needs to be informed, and the The Internal Program Revision Form completed.


^ top