Central (First Year)
Central is one of three residence halls that serve our freshmen living community, housing approximately 350 students. The A-wing houses upperclass and transfer students, however, while the remaining A/B-wing and B-wing house freshmen.
Central has mostly double style rooms with community style bathrooms shared between 15–20 students. Most bathrooms have two shower stalls, two toilet stalls, and three sinks.
Additionally, Central has some singles, occasional designed triples and some suite-style rooms. Most of these suites offer residents a private bathroom and/or a common area shared by all occupants of their suite.
Central has undergone a multiyear renovation process. The entire A-wing has been renovated including new bathrooms and furniture, and upgraded heating and lighting. The A/B-wing community and nine suite bathrooms were renovated as well as the heating system.
Central has several large lounges on the first floor of the building. Additionally, several small offices, group study, and social lounges are spread throughout the entire building for use by all residents.
Central Room Furnishings
- One twin XL bed, desk, desk chair, and dresser per resident
- One lamp/light fixture per room
- One armoire/closet per resident
- Cable TV connection
- Wireless Internet
- Smoke/Heat Detectors
Typical Furniture Size
- Desk Size: 42 inches wide x 24 inches deep x 31 inches high
- Dresser Size: 30 inches wide x 20 inches deep x 42 inches high
- Bed Size: 36 inches wide x 84 inches long, with adjustable height
- Closet Size: 48 inches wide x 24 inches deep
All dimensions are approximate.
Typical Room Size
- Singles are typically 8 feet wide x 11 feet long (with one closet)
- Doubles (corridor) are typically 11 feet wide x 17 feet long (with two closets)
- Doubles (suite) are typically 11 feet wide x 15 feet long (with two closets)
Check out the status of the laundry machines in your building and see how much time is left on your machines by viewing our Laundry Tracker. You can also enter your email to get alerts when your machine is ready and/or done.
Take a virtual tour through some of the various room types located within the Central residence hall. While all tour locations are not specifically within this residence hall, the room types below still apply to this and all first-year residence hall locations (Central, Crossroads, and Farside).
Once you are inside the tour, you will see an information tag that will outline a floor plan with room specifications and sizes.
Support for Students
Twelve upperclass Resident Assistants (RA) live in the hall. They are specially selected and trained to provide programs and resources for first-year students living in the building. They are supervised by a professional Residence Coordinator (RC) to help students make the transition to Purchase College.