We recommend you talk to your roommate(s) and plan what to bring together, so you don’t wind up with three TVs, three radios, and three refrigerators!
What to Bring
Below is a basic list of items that we suggest that you bring to campus. Also bring familiar items to make your room feel more comfortable and like home—pictures, small plants, etc. If you’re traveling far or don’t have room, it may be easier to purchase some of the items on your list from the nearby Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Container Store, etc.
Especially for Fall 2021
- Hand Sanitizer
- Toilet Paper
- Disinfectant Wipes (Lysol, Clorox, etc)
- Hand soap
- Sheets for extra-long twin bed
- Pillow cases
- Bath Soap
- Hair care products
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash
- Shower caddy
- Shower slippers
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towels
- Alarm clock
- TV (only 1 jack per room—no splitters)
- DVD/Blu-ray Player
- Computer/Laptop (with Ethernet cable)
- MP3 player/iPod
- Desk lamp
- Coffeepot (UL approved, auto shutoff)
- Surge protected power strip (UL approved) with an on/off switch
- Dryer Sheets
- Laundry bag/basket
- Small ironing board
- Sewing kit
- Dishes, bowls, silverware, etc.
- Flashlight and batteries
- Cleaning supplies
- Small area rug
- Small trash can/bags
- Medical information
- Bicycles (Must be stored in designated outdoor areas or bike room in Wayback)
To Do List
- Rent MicroFridge
- Call/email roommate(s)
- Learn about our renter’s insurance
What Not to Bring
The following items are NOT permitted in the residence halls and apartments. Students who are found with these items will be subjected to confiscation and/or disciplinary action. Please note that this is not an all-encompassing list—additional items may apply, per policies/codes.
- Refrigerators exceeding five cubic feet
- Weapon, including firearms, knives, paint/pellet/air/bb guns, daggers, etc.
- Flammable substances (lighter fluid and propane, paper decorations, acetone, oil paints, paint thinner, and flammable solvents, etc.)
- Lava Lamps
- Halogen lamp/Sun lamp
- Wax warmers
- Extension Cords/Multiplug Adaptors/Outlet Extenders
- Daisy-chaining (connecting power strips into one another)
- Holiday Lights/String Lights that are NOT LED bulbs
- Air Conditioners
- Pets (only fish are permitted in a maximum 10 gallon tank)
- Hoverboards/Motorized Scooter/Motorized Bicycle
- Personal Furniture
- 50% or more wall/door covering
- Ceiling Decorations
- Outside antennas and satellite dishes
- Unauthorized lofts, paneling or any other structures (i.e. track lighting)
- Electrical equipment that does not bear UL approval
- Privacy pop bed tents
The following cooking appliances are ONLY allowed in apartment kitchen/dining areas:
- Microwave oven (MicroFridge units are allowed)
- Toaster/Toaster oven
- Other cooking appliances, such as sandwich makers, George Foreman, hot plates, etc.
- Grills (Currently allowed in apartment community, but should not be stored indoors)
More Things to Consider
All electrical appliances used for cooking food are prohibited in residence hall rooms. All other appliances such as irons, hair dryers, TVs, radios, etc. should be used with caution. In addition, all appliances, extension bar outlets and electrical hook-ups must have an UL approved label attached.
The College makes periodic health and safety inspections of all rooms during the year and reserves the right to remove all items considered to be a fire hazard. New York State codes prohibit:
- cooking in residence hall rooms
- fastening any combustible material to any ceilings, or
- covering any fire alarm equipment in the residence hall rooms
Rule of Thumb about Fire Safety and Appliances
If it has an exposed heating element (George Foreman grills, toasters, hotplates, etc.), it is prohibited in the residence halls.
Residents May Not:
- Cover/tamper with light fixtures or smoke/heat detectors
- Modify to the electrical, mechanical, or structural framework
- Alter internet, cable, phone, or electrical outlets
- Hang items outside windows or entering/exiting windows
Don’t Forget Your Cleaning Supplies
You are responsible for cleaning everything behind your locked door. College staff cleans the common areas of the residence halls. Please bring cleaning supplies and a vacuum.
Consider leasing a MicroFridge to use in your residence hall room. This is the only microwave allowed for use in our residence halls, and you won’t have to transport or store this large appliance between semesters, or sell one after graduation. Please visit the Refrigerator Leasing Company website for information
The Refrigerator Leasing Company provides the following Refrigerator Return Information:
- Please check the pick up schedule for the return date, time and place. Be sure to check that the truck is at the assigned place before moving a refrigerator. Handcarts and help are available at the truck.
- Bring the clean, defrosted unit to our truck at the specified time. Handcarts and help are available at the truck. If you are not available, a roommate or friend may return your unit for you. Failure to come out to the truck or to clean the unit thoroughly will result in the loss of your security deposit. Please bring all shelves that came with the unit. If you need assistance with a MicroFridge, you or your roommate should come out to the truck without the unit and we will accompany you back to the room to assist you getting the unit down to the truck.
- We will give you your security deposit check and a receipt with our firm name imprinted. In addition, you must sign the receiving book at the truck. Failure to obtain the receipt and sign the book at the truck may result in you being charged for the unit.
- Refrigerators not returned to us on the return date may have to be shipped to our Oneonta NY warehouse by you at your expense. Avoid this problem and make necessary arrangements to return the unit on time!
- Check and make sure we have your address correct. If not, call 1-607-431-9525.
- Many students order a unit now for next year. To order one now, please tell a representative at the conclusion of your return. We will apply your deposit to next years rental.
- You may return you refrigerator at a different residence hall if you have moved.
- If you have a problem with the time contact our office and we will try to make other arrangements. If you fail to contact us at least 3 days in advance, and you do not return unit on scheduled date, you will forfeit your deposit.
- Charges for failure to return unit are as follows: MicroFridge $500; Counter High $180; Cube $100; Safe $200. Please note that these figures may be outdated, and all information should be verified through the microfridge company prior.