Network and Connect
Networking generally refers to the process of developing and maintaining professional contacts. When it comes to the job
hunt, the more people you can connect with in the course of your job search, the broader your network, and the more likely you’ll find the job you truly want. Networking comes down to talking and listening to people and building relationships.
The Key to Networking is Follow-up!
- Help you focus on your choice of major or career- by speaking to those in your field of interest.
- Give you advice about your job search.
- Confirm your choice of career - learn about the pros and cons from those in the field.
- Practice your interviewing techniques - you will have an informal opportunity to explain your career goals by talking to a variety of contacts.
- Help you locate opportunities in your field
- Learn more about a specific organization or employers
LinkedIn allows you to connect and become introduced to professionals in your field of interest & provides you with the opportunity to research companies, search for jobs, connect with alumni, and more. Your profile highlights your
professional/academic accomplishments and skills. Join the Purchase College, SUNY - Career Development and Purchase College CDC Mentor Network groups.
Visit LinkedIn for Students to access videos and tip sheets on perfecting your profile, job searching, networking, connecting to alumni and more.
View employers who have hired employees by major. Learn details about companies and organizations that may interest you. Sign up for a free Buzzfile account to create lists and save favorites.
Platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other social media can also be used as a tool to create a professional online presence and a personal brand while connecting with people, organizations, and opportunities. Be sure to actively engage with those you follow/follow you and post regularly.