An informational interview is a meeting arranged with a select individual to obtain “inside” information about an industry, occupation, employer, or program.
This can lead you to valuable career insight that would not be available through online or print information. You may be surprised at how eager many professionals are to share information about their work.
A key thing to remember, however, is that informational interviews are not job interviews; they are opportunities for you to learn more about specific career paths, and to develop contacts and possible leads within your industry of interest.
- Tips for Arranging and Conducting Informational Interviews (PDF)
- How to Conduct an Informational Interview (video)
Explore careers by browsing thousands of interviews with professionals in a wide variety of careers using CandidCareer.
Prepare yourself for the job & internship search through more videos focused on self-marketing, networking, and more!
Investigate careers and build your network with alumni and other professionals through research on LinkedIn.
View our Maximize LinkedIn workshop presented by Chaim Shapiro, a national speaker, and trainer on LinkedIn.
Meet with a career counselor to learn more about using LinkedIn to explore, learn, and job search as you grow and engage your network.
In partnership with the Office of Alumni Engagement,
Our exciting mentoring and networking platform (hosted by Firsthand/Vault) offers an insider’s look where students can connect with enthusiastic, experienced alumni working in a wide range of industries.
Students will get a “first hand” peek into professions as they explore their career interests, gain career help and learn strategies for exploring fields; all while building their networks with Purchase alumni.
- Connects with alumni or other experienced professionals for one-on-one career conversations.
- Browse alumni from diverse backgrounds and book consultations.
- Students can also connect with Broadview Senior Living mentors in the STEM and Communications/Media fields.
- It only takes two minutes to register. Select “Find a Mentor” to begin and then you will be able to search, select, and connect with mentors.
- You can communicate with mentors through direct messaging in the system and via phone consultations over a dedicated conference line
Exploration and Research Features
- View the Vault Guides in all different fields including the arts, entertainment, media, and many more.
- In the Careers section view Vault rankings of organizations, learn about different companies, jobs in different fields, industry information, and internships.
- Browse through the Video Library to view videos on different career topics and industry focused videos.