If you receive a threatening call, do not hang up. Have someone else call University Police (914) 251-6911 from another phone if possible.
Try to gain as much information as possible and take notes.
- What is the threat?
- Is the voice familiar?
- Male or female?
- Young or old?
- Calm? Angry? Stutter? Accent?
- What sounds are in the background?
- Record the caller’s words if possible.
If it’s a bomb threat, ask these additional questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Who placed the bomb?
- Why was the bomb placed?
The decision whether or not to evacuate will be made by University Police.
If evacuation is decided upon:
- Remain calm and avoid panic
- Walk to the nearest exit (unless directed otherwise) & alert others to do the same
- Evacuate 200+ yards from the area containing the bomb
If you see something that appears to be an explosive, do NOT move, jar, or touch the object or anything attached to it. Alert University Police, and leave it for the professionals.