International Orientation Leaders
Being an International Orientation Leader (IOL) is a unique leadership opportunity for globally minded students to connect with peers from around the world and to introduce them to both Purchase and US culture.
Every year the Office for Global Education (OGE) looks to select a group of globally-minded student leaders to welcome new international first-year, transfer, graduate and exchange students to Purchase College during International Student Orientation (ISO) in August, before the start of the fall semester. IOLs function as the main source of student life information for new international students.
International Orientation Leader Job Description
IOLs serve as an integral part of the International Student Orientation and assist the Global Education team during all scheduled events, including summer planning, programming and dynamic group activities. See ‘Important Dates’ below for the full list of tentative summer training and orientation dates.
IOLs represent Purchase College and the Office for Global Education at all times. They provide encouragement and guidance to students undergoing social, cultural and academic transition during their first days at Purchase. IOLs have effective cross-cultural communication skills and a strong interest in connecting with people from around the world.
This position is project based (temporary). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Application Deadline: Friday, May 14, 2021
The International Orientation Leaders will do remote work and video conference (at least 3 days) over the summer break to train and plan International Student Orientation with Global Education staff. IOLs’ main responsibility is to assist Global Education staff during international student move-in day and the (3) three days of in-person International Student Orientation programming (total of 4 days). International Student Orientation my follow a hybrid model, which will have in-person activities as well as remote sessions (all subject to change due to COVID-19).
- Complete all training dates scheduled during the summer
- Assist staff and be present during all orientation activities
- Prepare and conduct a presentation during International Student Orientation about student life at Purchase
- Work collaboratively with other International Orientation Leaders and staff
- Serve as a resource to international students during Orientation
- Promote interaction among international students and International Orientation Leaders
- Lead team-building activities, tours and facilitate ice-breakers
- Provide administrative and logistical support for all activities and programs
- Manage set-up and breakdown of orientation sessions
- Assist new students during move-in day
- Assist students with all essential tasks at the start of the semester – getting an ID card, finding their mailbox, completing the required check-in process, etc.
- Proficient or fluent in a second language
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Students with some interest or previous experience overseas is preferred
- High energy to engage with International Students
- Interpersonal and intercultural communication
- A strong interest in connecting with people from around the world
- Video, Photography and/or Editing
1 to 3 years of work experience is highly desired; entry level is encouraged to apply
Majors encouraged to apply: Anthropology, Cinema Studies, Creative Writing, Arts Management, Environmental Studies, Journalism, Language and Culture, Latin American Studies, Communication, New Media, Psychology, Sociology, Film, Media Arts and Culture, Visual Arts MFA
- Must have at least a 3.00 cumulative GPA at the time of application
- Selected candidates must be reachable or available in the summer for assignments and remote training - dates will be determined once hired and may be subject to change
- Students must be able to move-in early if residing on-campus or commute to campus prior to the start of International Student Orientation. Early move-in date is TBD
- Students must be completely available to attend all in-person training. Dates TBD
- Students must be completely available for each day of International Student Orientation. Tentative dates are August 23-25, 2021
- Must be friendly, positive, high energy and approachable to International Students
- Punctual and dependable
- Flexible and able to think on your feet
- Willing to work remotely and in-person
- Cannot be on any form of probation at the time of application or start of employment
- All international students should first meet with our office in-person for verification of hiring documents
- International Orientation Leaders position pays $15 per hour for training, orientation, and continuous program planning for International Student Orientation
- The amount will be paid in installments upon completion and evaluation of work
- International Orientation Leaders receive meals during training weekend and during orientation days on-campus (meal dates are to be determined due to COVID)
*Dates are still under review and subject to change due to COVID-19 and the fall 2021 reopening plan. Final dates will be communicated as soon as they become available.
Application Deadline: has been extended to Friday, May 14, 2021
- Interviews: mid-May
- Virtual Training: July 6-9, 2021
- 1st team meeting (Virtual): Summer 2021. Exact date is TBD
- 2nd team meeting (Virtual): Summer 2021. Exact date is TBD
- 3rd team meeting (Virtual): Summer 2021. Exact date is TBD
- Move-in day: Possible early August move-in
- On-campus training: Tentative dates are August 20-22, 2021
- International Student Orientation: Tentative dates are August 23-25, 2021