These academic and work opportunities are available to students who have completed their undergraduate degree.
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs. The program enables true community engagement and deep cultural exchange between recipients and people of the host country by facilitating close living, working and learning conditions.
- Eligibility: Applicants must have a conferred bachelor’s degree or equivalent before the start of the grant. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen at the time of application (permanent residents are not eligible).
- Potential award: Varies by country, but enough to cover airfare, room, board and incidentals, health insurance.
- Term(s) available: Academic-Year
- Application deadline: Mid-October
The Technos College Teaching Assistant (TA) internship is a highly competitive,11-month, fully funded program where participants teach, prepare materials, run activities, and plan events in English for Technos students, while being immersed in Japanese culture. Purchase is considered one of Technos’s “sister schools” and has a strong, long-standing, partnership.
- Eligibility: Must have native-level English speaking proficiency. Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree or obtain such qualifications by program’s September start date. Interest in education, teaching and Japanese culture.
- Potential award: Living stipend, 3 weeks vacation and 10 days paid leave, furnished
Technos College dormitory room, round-trip airfare
- Term(s) available: September - July
- Application deadline: Varies by year
Each year, between 1300 and 1500 assistant positions are reserved for Americans participating in the Teaching Assistant Program in France. Assistants teach English 12 hours per week in up to 3 schools, elementary or secondary. The program’s goal is to strengthen foreign-language instruction in French schools by establishing a native speaker presence, while also providing young educators around the world with initial international teaching experience and first-hand knowledge of French language and culture.
- Eligibility: Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States; have intermediate proficiency in French; be between 20 and 35 years old; completed at least 3 years of higher education; be native speakers of English.
- Potential award: Living stipend, health insurance
- Term(s) available: All teaching contracts last 7 months, from October 1st through April 30th.
- Application deadline: January 15
Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to fifty Scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at a UK institution in any field of study.
- Eligibility: Open to US citizens who (at the time they take up their Scholarship) hold a first degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the US with a minimum GPA of 3.7. Candidates need to have received their degree no more than 3 years prior to award start date.
- Potential award: University fees, cost of living expenses, annual book grant, thesis grant, research and daily travel grants, fares to and from the United States.
- Term(s) available: One or two academic years
- Application deadline: Late September/ early-October
JET recipients work as full-time, paid employees at a contracting organization in schools, boards of education, and government offices throughout Japan. By living and working in the cities and towns of Japan, participants become a part of their communities in a deeper, more meaningful way than the average American has a chance to as a tourist.
- Eligibility: Must be a citizen of the United States by the application deadline. Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree or obtain such qualifications by the designated date prior to departure.
- Potential award: Monthly salary, roundtrip airfare, visa, and insurance (health, pension, employment, and accident).
- Term(s) available: The JET contract is for roughly 10 months. The participant may be reappointed for an additional one-year contract, with a maximum of five years total.
- Application deadline: Mid-November*
In addition to what is included here, visit our page that lists organizations with possible international job and internship opportunities. Use JobScore, Purchase’s online job search database, to find current job and internship listings exclusively for Purchase College students and alumni. Utilize the Purchase Career Development Center for assistance with all job searches and application support.
*Contact the Career Development Center for more information about applying for this opportunity.