No Contact Orders differ from court imposed restraining/protective orders and do not guarantee that parties will avoid sightings or passing interactions. 

Requesting a No Contact Order:

A No Contact Order (NCO) may be issued after a No Contact Order Request Form is received by the Office of Community Standards.  NCOs may be issued for the following: harassment, threats, physical assault, stalking, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, retaliation or intimidation, or other behavior as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.

The form will be reviewed by the Office of Community Standards and a determination will be made regarding the issuance of a No Contact Order.

The Office of Community Standards is not a confidential resource, and outreach by other offices, such as the campus advocacy services at the Counseling Center or the Office of Diversity and Compliance n may occur.

No Contact Orders and the Campus:

  • Per the Office of Community Engagement policy, if a No Contact Order is issued between roommates/suitemates/apartment-mates, both parties will be moved.  There will be situations where certain accommodations or spacing issues will not allow for student moves to occur.  The Office of Community Engagement will evaluate and decide the final outcome/relocation at its discretion.
  • The College’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Response policies and procedures (see Protection and Accommodations section) provides additional information pertaining to No Contact Orders in cases involving allegations of sexual misconduct, sex discrimination, domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking. 
  • For No Contact Order requests associated with Sexual Harassment as defined by Title IX, please contact the Office of Diversity and Compliance directly. 

A violation of a No Contact Order should be reported to either the Office of Community Standards, the Office of Community Engagement, or University Police. A violation of a No Contact Order is subject to disciplinary action. 

Any student that has a No Contact Order can:

  • request to challenge the application of a No Contact Order by providing information/evidence to support that the order should not be in place,
  • provide information/evidence that supports an alteration or modification of the No Contact Order,
  • present information/evidence that supports that the No Contact Order should remain in place.

If you have questions, or wish to have a review of the No Contact Order process, please contact the Office of Community Standards at