The discipline system provides for the hearing of alleged offenses, by administrative and/or committee action, depending on the nature of the offense and/or the preference of the accused.
The Director for Community Standards and/or Conduct Officer
The Director for Community Standards and/or Conduct Officer has operational responsibility for the coordination and implementation of all aspects of policy. Additionally, they have jurisdiction over selected cases arising from the alleged violation of nonacademic policy, specifically the Student Code of Conduct, and serve in place of the College Hearing Committee during all breaks in the academic calendar.
Initial Conference and/or Administrative Hearing Officers
Initial conference and/or administrative hearing officers have jurisdiction for all cases except those involving academic dishonesty. Designated and trained staff members may serve as initial conference and/or administrative hearing officers, each with specific sanctioning authorities
- Level I authority: reprimand – disciplinary probation (Residence Coordinators)
- Level II authority: reprimand – residence suspension (Assistant Directors, Community Engagement)
- Level III authority: all sanctions including suspension and expulsion (Director for Community Standards, Conduct Officer, Assistant Directors for Community Engagement, campus Hearing Committee, specifically trained full-time staff/faculty).
The College Hearing Committee
The committee has jurisdiction in all cases except:
- cases arising from violations of standards of professional and academic integrity.
- when the accused student requests a hearing before an administrative hearing officer.
- when the accused student waives their right to a hearing and accepts responsibility.
- when classes are not in session.
The College Appeal Board
The Appeal Board reviews all appeals, for specified grounds only, of disciplinary decisions rendered by the initial conference officer/administrative hearing officer, or the college Hearing Committee for all cases except those involving academic dishonesty.