The discipline system provides for the hearing of alleged offenses, by administrative and/or committee action, depending on the nature of the offense and/or the preference of the accused.
In the event that a formal hearing before the Hearing Committee cannot be held in a timely manner, the conduct officer shall conduct the hearing. Specifically, the system consists of:
The Director of Community Standards and/or Conduct Officer
The Director of Community Standards and/or conduct officer has operational responsibility for the coordination and implementation of all aspects of policy. Additionally, they have jurisdiction over selected cases arising from the alleged violation of nonacademic policy and serves in place of the campus Hearing Committee during all breaks in the academic calendar.
The Campus Hearing Committee
The campus Hearing Committee has jurisdiction in all cases except:
- cases arising from violations of standards of professional and academic integrity.
- when the accused student requests a hearing before an administrative hearing officer.
- when the accused student waives his/her right to a hearing and accepts responsibility.
- when classes are not in session.
Initial Conference and/or Administrative Hearing Officers
Initial conference and/or administrative hearing officers have jurisdiction for all cases except those involving academic dishonesty. The vice president for student affairs designates professional staff members to serve as initial conference and/or administrative hearing officers, each with specific sanctioning authorities
- Level I authority: reprimand – disciplinary probation (residence coordinators)
- Level II authority: reprimand – residence suspension (assistant directors, residence life)
- Level III authority: all sanctions including suspension and expulsion (Director for Community Standards, Conduct Officer, Director of Community Engagement, campus Hearing Committee, specifically trained full-time staff/faculty).
Initial conference/administrative hearing officers have original jurisdiction for all cases arising from alleged violations of the terms and conditions of the Residence License Agreement or when requested by the Director of Community Standards or their designee.
The Campus Appeals Board
The campus Appeals Board hears all appeals, for specified grounds only, of disciplinary decisions rendered by the initial conference officer/administrative hearing officer, or the campus Hearing Committee for all cases except those involving academic dishonesty.