Fall: February 15, 2019
Early Action: Not Available
Spring: Not Available
- SUNY Application and Supplemental Application, OR Common Application
- Application fee - $50 for either application
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation
- Audition Cost - non-refundable $60 audition fee and $5 SlideRoom fee
Online audition registration for the BFA Dance program will open October 2018 in our SlideRoom portal. To register for an audition you must first submit an application to the college for the BFA Dance program. Only applicants to the college for the BFA Dance program will be able to register for an audition. Applicants will be emailed the audition registration instructions. The non-refundable audition fee of $60.00 plus the $5.00 SlideRoom submission fee must be submitted online at the time of your audition submissions.
Please do not call the Conservatory to schedule an audition. All auditions are scheduled online.
Admission to the Conservatory of Dance is highly competitive. Acceptance is based primarily on your dance audition, demonstrating:
Prior training and the ability to demonstrate advanced knowledge of modern and/or classical ballet techniques
- Talent and potential as a performer
- Good physical proportions in a healthy body that is injury free
The dance audition consists of a ballet class and modern combinations in the center and across the floor. You might be asked to improvise. Following class, the audition panel will call back the dancers who will present their solos in the afternoon. The faculty will conduct a short interview following the audition. The schedule is adhered to as much as possible; however, the number of people in any given audition, the weather, or other extenuating circumstances may cause changes. Please plan to spend a full day at Purchase College.
Each dancer should be prepared to present a 90-second solo performance in classical ballet, contemporary ballet or modern dance. We would like to see you in a work that shows you at your best. Note the following carefully, as no exceptions will be made:
- Your music should be on CD (with your name clearly printed on the label) or an iPod.
- Choreography may be by you or another person.
- If your dance exceeds 90 seconds, you will be asked to stop. We are primarily interested in your performance and movement ability.
- Be prepared to introduce your dance: title, choreographer, composer and any additional information you wish us to know.
- The audition studio has a marley floor.
- No costumes are permitted.
Dance Information Requirements All dancers are required to submit the following items at time of the audition. PLEASE DO NOT MAIL THESE MATERIALS TO THE CONSERVATORY.
- Dance Resume
- One (1) Artistic Letter of Recommendation
- Dance Photo (a 8 x 10 full body shot in leotard and tights in first arabesque is preferred)
- A copy of the essay you submitted with your Common Application or SUNY Application to the college.
On Campus Audition Dates:
Purchase College: February 8, 16, 22 and March 2
Sample On-Campus Audition Schedule
9:00–10:00am Registration: Complete the audition form, submit your resume, letter of recommendation, essay and photo and receive you audition number
10:00–10:30am: Parents meet with the Director of Dance/Auditionees warm up
10:30am–12:30pm: Dance Auditions
12:30pm–1:30pm: Lunch Break / List of requested solo performances posted
1:30pm: Solo auditions, presented in order of registration, followed by an interview
Dance applicants are invited to attend the BFA Dance Senior Project Performances in the Dance Theatre Lab at 8:00pm on the evening of your audition. Dancers may sign-up for two (2) complimentary tickets when registering in the morning.
Dance Class Audition Video Online Submission
(Only students outside continental U.S.)*
Only candidates living outside the continental United States may submit a Class Audition Video online rather than audition in person. This includes Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico.
You can submit a digital video file or link to your Audition Class Video on YouTube or Vimeo and pay the non-refundable audition fee of $60.00 plus the $5.00 SlideRoom submission when you submit your audition materials and fees in SlideRoom. Your Class Audition Video must be received in SlideRoom by March 3, 2019.
The Class Audition Video should include:
Introduction: State your name, dance training, and information about your solo: title, composer, choreographer and any additional information you want us to know. Tell us why you are interested in attending the Purchase College Conservatory of Dance.
Ballet Class: Present barre work, center work (adagio, allegro and pirouette combinations) and across the floor combinations. You do not need to repeat exercises on both sides.
Modern Class: Present warm up exercises, center work including back work, and across the floor combinations.
Solo: 90 seconds maximum.
Out of town auditions
Los Angeles, California
January 13, 2019, at LACHSA (Los Angeles County High School for the Arts).
It is located on the campus of California State University at 5151 State University Dr. Los Angeles, CA 90032
• 12:00-1:00pm - Registration
• 1:30pm - Audition Class: Ballet and Modern techniques
• 4:45pm – Solo presentations: 90-seconds, your music on ipod or CD
December 15, 2018 at The Chicago Academy for the Arts, 3pm-8pm
1010 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60642
- 3:00 -4:00 pm - Registration
- 4:15 pm Audition Class: Ballet and Modern Techniques
- 6:30 pm - Solo Presentations: 90 seconds, your music on ipod or CD
If you get injured prior to your scheduled audition date, you may reschedule your audition for a later date. If your recovery period exceeds the final scheduled audition date (March 3, 2018) you may be granted an extension by request. Please contact the Conservatory of Dance in either case.
For additional information about the Dance BFA program visit the Conservatory of Dance.
You will be notified of your admission decision three to four weeks after your audition date if your application is complete and you have paid the audition fee.