Purchase College Leadership Institute
Join the inaugural cohort of students who desire to be a leader on campus and in life by joining the Purchase College Leadership Institute (PCLI).
What is the PCLI?
The vision for the PCLI is rooted in the idea that the existence of a long-term, fully voluntary leadership development program would provide students with an opportunity to sharpen their leadership skills and abilities, to enhance not only their Purchase College experience but also their life post-Purchase. It is an open, full access group that any student can participate in. The program requirements emphasize innovation and creative problem-solving to teach students how to identify a problem and take the steps needed to solve that problem effectively. Upon completion of all PCLI program requirements (over the course of four semesters) students would receive an Excellence in Leadership and Innovation certificate.
Who Can Join?
Anyone! All students are welcome to apply for participation in the PCLI. However, the program takes four semesters to complete so students should plan their involvement according to their anticipated graduation date.
Why Consider Participating?
Not only is this a great opportunity to sharpen your leadership skills and abilities, but you will also have the opportunity to make close connections with faculty and staff on campus. The program is also free of charge for participants and is a great way to make your resume stand out for your post-graduate job-search.
What is Required?
The PCLI requirements are completed over the course of four semesters. Each semester has a set of requirements that participants must complete before continuing to the next stage of the program. Generally, each semester of the program includes brief lectures from faculty related to their area of expertise and in connection with leadership development. Student Affairs staff from across campus will also conduct lectures, trainings, and activities throughout each semester of the PCLI.
Semester 1 Requirements:
- Introduction to the PCLI & Student Leadership at Purchase
- Historical background and perspective
- Personality, values, and grit seminar
Semester 2 Requirements:
- Leadership style assessment
- Ethics and leadership seminar
- Inclusivity seminar
- Productivity and motivation seminar
- Sociological background and perspective
Semester 3 Requirements:
- Self-care in leadership
- Collaboration, conflict management, and project management seminars
- Examination of team-building and trust-building (seminar)
- PCLI capstone experience proposal submission
Semester 4 Requirements:
- Completion of PCLI capstone experience/project
- Exit interview with PCLI advisor
- Excellence in Innovative Leadership Certificate conferment and ceremony