Purchase in the City
Taste the Big Apple!
The cultural capital of the world—New York City—is a mere 30 miles south of our campus. Student Affairs and Enrollment Management has partnered with the academic areas and the Purchase College Association to sponsor experiences in and around the greater New York City area.
Home to some of the world’s biggest companies, museums, and theaters, New York City stands at the intersection of innovation, art, and enterprise. We couple the networks and knowledge of our dedicated professors, staff, and alumni to expose Purchase students to the energetic center of so many industries and movements.
The trips create connections among peers, alumni, and faculty, and with the City itself, which becomes an extension of our campus for experiential learning outside the classroom.
This Year’s Schedule
- October 7: Renaissance Faire
- October 13: Bard College - Hessell Museum of Art
- October 28: Six Flags
- November 4: Guided tour of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Past Experiences and Trips
- Toni Morrison Exhibit at Princeton University
- Art Galleries in Chelsea, NY
- The Jewish Heritage Museum - A Living Memorial to the Holocaust
- John Ahearn Studio Visit and Exhibition
- Trip to Rockefeller Center
- Union Square Park: SEEINJUSTICE Art Exhibition
- Bryant Park Winter Village
- The Park Avenue Armory: Assembly by interdisciplinary artist Rashaad Newsome
- El Museo del Barrio
- NYC Chelsea Galleries
- NYC Galleries
- Lower East Side, Soho, and Tribeca Galleries and Resnick/Pasloff Foundation in Chinatown
- The New York Landmarks Conservancy
- Manhattan History: Key historical sites and contemporary memorialization of the legacy of chattel slavery in New York City.
- Museum of Illusions
- Processing Community Day at The New School University Center with various faculty
- National Museum of Mathematics with Professor Tunyan
Additional Virtual Experiences
Many museums and cultural institutions have experiences that you can experience right from your own home. Some of our favorites include:
- Visit Paris and experience the Louvre’s exhibition rooms & galleries.
- Online exhibits from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Explore the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands with virtual tours of the galleries and looks into the artists’ life.
- The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea provides a look into its famous galleries exploring Korean art.