Purchase In The City
In an effort to provide opportunities for our students to experience the cultural capital of the world—New York City, Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, in partnership with the academic areas, and the Purchase College Association, will sponsor experiences in and around New York City.
Capitalizing on the fact that New York City is home to some of the world’s biggest companies, museums, and theaters as well as the experiences and knowledge of our dedicated professors, staff and alumni, our goal is to expose Purchase College students to the intersection of innovation, art, and power that New York City has to offer making it effectively an extension of our campus allowing students to learn outside the classroom while creating connections with peers, alumni, and faculty in the City.
Fall 2020 Program Adjustment:
In order to provide the best attention to the health and safety needs of our community and avoid non-essential travel, all Purchase in the City experiences for fall 2020 will be virtual until further notice. Purchase staff still plan to curate exiting and engaging experiences for our students through private tours, personal Q&As with industry experts, and inside looks at beloved sites and locations.
Upcoming Spring 2021 Programs
Programs will be listed at the start of the spring semester.
Fall 2020: Past Programs
Byrant Park Virtual Tour: Monday, November 2 at 1:00pm
Come join this private virtual guided tour & behind the scenes look at Bryant Park. Engage in conversation and ask questions to learn about the history, events, and happenings at this popular location.
Day in the Life at Buzzfeed: September 14, 2020
Mia Alicata, Senior Analyst at Buzzfeed and small business owner, will walk students through a day in the life at Buzzfeed as well as how to start your own successful business.
Country Music Hall of Fame Tour: September 24, 2020
We’re going to Nashville! This private tour will share the narrative of country music history and include key artifacts from their unique collection as well as multimedia in the form of song and video. Students will learn about the history of famous country celebrities and how they made their mark on the infamous circle. Students will be able to engage in a Q&A session.
Additional Virtual Experiences
Many museums and cultural institutions have experiences that you can experience right from your own home. Some of our favorites include:
- Visit Paris and experience the Louvre’s exhibition rooms & galleries.
- Online exhibits from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Explore the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands with virtual tours of the galleries and looks into the artists’ life.
The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea provides a look into its famous galleries exploring Korean art.
Past Experiences & Trips:
- August 24: Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art
- August 24: Harbor Lights Circle Line Cruise
- August 25: Radio City Music Hall: Behind the Scenes Tour
- September 14: 9/11 Museum
- September 21: Union Square Tour
- September 28: Museum of Sex
- October 5: Unsilent Story of Horseman’s Hallow - Trip to Sleepy Hallow, NY.
- October 19: Central Park Fall Foliage Photography Tour
- October 26: Brooklyn Museum
- November 2: Argosy Book Store (Old & Rare Book) Tour
- November 9: National Museum of the American Indian/DUMBO Tour
- February 1: Museum of Illusions
- February 8: Processing Community Day at The New School University Center with various faculty
- February 15: National Museum of Mathematics with Professor Tunyan
- Planned but canceled: Lincoln Center Tour
- Planned but canceled: Tango, Diasporas and Encounters at the Argentine Consulate in New York City