These communities are organized around themes and interests and occupy specifically selected sections of residence halls. The result is an increased opportunity for individuals with similar interest to live and learn together. For more information on any of these special interest programs, contact our office.

First-Year Experience (FYE) Program

This program is designed specifically to ease the transition from high school to college. These residence halls provide a special setting for all first-year students. This area focuses additional attention on the unique transitional needs of first-year students. Special staff members have been trained and assigned to work with our first-year students. The FYE program is currently housed in Farside, Crossroads, and two floors of Big Haus. All first-year students who reside in these buildings are automatically a part of the FYE program.

Transfer Student Housing

Transfer students are often placed in upper-class housing spaces within the apartments, and upper-class residence halls.  They are generally placed with other transfer students or with current upper-class students.  In order to be eligible to qualify for an apartment space, students must either have 36 completed credits or be 21 years of age at the time of application.

Gender-Inclusive Housing

Gender-inclusive housing provides students the opportunity to occupy a safe-space housing option that does not require all room/apartment-mates to be of the same legal sex. Students applying for gender-neutral housing will apply in groups in order to fill a designated room, apartment, or suite. All students in the group must individually meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the specific area in which you are applying to live. If this area is located with the apartment communities, then all members of the group must either have 36 completed credits or be 21 years of age at the time of application. You will still be able to select gender-inclusive housing throughout the entire selection process, as long as there is still availability. Please note that students in gender-inclusive areas that are not filled (rooms, apartments, etc.) will be consolidated in order to open more space for students who may not elect to live in this housing community. While you do not have to select with a group, you are encouraged to apply with a roommate group to avoid being moved to another area.

Please contact for questions concerning this process.

Cultural Immersion Housing

Cultural immersion housing is designed for international and domestic students who want to live together and focus on a cultural exchange and programming around the same theme. This housing option is still in development so stay tuned for more details to come!

PREP Housing (Purchase Residence Extension Program)

PREP housing is an option that provides housing over breaks when the college residential facilities are closed. There is an additional cost associated with all types of PREP housing. You do not need to fill a group roster, you may sign up by space. The PREP options and locations currently available are:

Alumni Village:

All spaces in Alumni Village are apartment singles. You can either sign up for full-year PREP (May–May) or academic-year PREP (Aug.–May). You will be assigned an apartment, matching academic-year PREP together and full-year PREP together. We cannot guarantee apartment-mate preferences.


There are two types of housing types located within the Olde PREP option. There is a 4-person apartment option (comprised of one double and two single rooms) and also an 8-person duplex apartment option.


Wayback is our residence hall PREP option. The PREP housing type located within the Wayback residence hall consists of a 4 person junior suite option. This junior suite includes one double and two single rooms.

In order to indicate your interest in PREP housing, please make sure to indicate this on your housing application. Please also follow up with an email to

Graduate/Nontraditional Student Housing 

Graduate/nontraditional student housing is available in the apartments. Students who are at least 24 years of age, or are graduate students, may choose this residential option. Graduate/Nontraditional student housing is currently only located within the Olde apartment community, although graduate and nontraditional students can live in any apartment complex should they meet qualifications and willing to reside with undergraduate students. You do not need to fill a group roster, you may sign up by space.

Substance-Free Housing

Students in substance-free housing agree to remain drug, smoke, and alcohol free. Students that are found responsible for use of any of these substances will be removed from this housing area. Substance-Free Housing is located within the Olde apartment community. Please note: All Purchase College residence halls are drug and smoke free, and all first-year residence halls are designated as alcohol free. In order to attain Substance-Free Housing, please select this option on your housing application. If you are not able to select the option on your housing application or are having difficulty completing this process, please contact our office at

Individuals selecting this housing option will be required to sign a Substance-Free Housing Agreement. Violation of this agreement will cause for immediate removal from the Substance-Free Housing community.

Quiet Floor Housing

Quiet floor housing is located within the Big Haus and Farside freshmen residence halls. The College has identified a need to develop areas within our residence halls that would support a more intensive approach to study and sleep. These areas have been identified as Quiet Floors. These housing areas will have a 24-hour quiet hour policy. Individuals selecting this housing option are to carefully read and sign the Quiet Floor Housing Agreement. New students that are interested in being housed on a quiet floor should indicate as such on their housing application. Please also follow up with an email to

Single Rooms

The Office of Community Engagement offers a limited number of singles for returning students in the residence halls, the Olde apartments, and Alumni Village apartments. Singles are generally not available for first-year and transfer students.