Opening and Closing Information
May 2023 Closing Information
Important: Please read all information below. All residence halls and apartments close for non-graduating students on May 10th at 10 a.m. and May 12 at 9 p.m. for graduating students.
How to Check-Out
- Pack all your belongings.
- Clean the room/suite/apartment.
- Lock and close the windows and shut off the lights if you are the last person to leave the room.
- Proceed to hand in your keys via the express check out process.
- The RA will assess the condition of your room using the Room Property Report (RPR) that you signed on move-in day once everyone has left the room and checked-out with an express check out envelope.
Express Checkout Envelopes: (All residents will follow an Express Check out Process)
- It is an expedited check-out. You don’t wait for an RA to inspect your room, instead, you complete the express check out envelope and put your keys inside and seal it up.
- You will pick up an express check out envelope from outside the office in your residential area.
- Pack up your belongings, clean the room and remove all personal items.
- Place your keys inside the envelope.
- Fill out the form.
- Tear the yellow copy and save for your record.
- Return the express check out envelope to the RA office when an RA is available. If you check out after hours, the envelopes can be placed in the express check out box located outside of the residential office in your residential area.
- Complete your electronic checkout on your Housing Portal
Make Transportation Arrangements Now:
Don’t wait until the last minute to arrange transportation. Based on your date of departure, make sure to reserve a vehicle that will carry you and all of your personal items. The final dates for departure are Wednesday May 10th, 2023 at 10 a.m. for non-graduating students and Friday, May 12th, 2023 at 9 p.m. for all graduating students.
Remove All Items from Your Room:
Make sure to remove all items when you move out – even items that may seem unobtrusive (plastic bags, hangers, cleaning supplies, frozen items, loose change). Basically, if someone brought the item into the room, someone must remove it from the space. It is much easier (and cheaper) for you to remove these items than to have a facilities cleaning crew remove them. You may receive a bill if any items, including small objects, that remain in the space. Also, remember to wipe down all spaces, sweep floors, remove all trash and place furniture in its original location.
Reminder: Take out all trash. The most common charges assessed are cleaning and trash removal. Big trash items can be taken to the extra dumpsters that are placed near residential areas.
If you rented a Mirco-Fridge unit from our leasing company, they will contact you directly with cleaning/unthawing instructions. The company will retrieve your unit upon closing.
Be Aware of Improper Check-out, Late, and Overnight Stay Fees:
- Improper Check-Out - $55. This fee is assessed if you do not complete the Express check-out process properly. (Examples include: Leaving without checking out; leaving your keys in your room or with a roommate)
- Late Check-Out - $75. This fee is assessed if you or your items are vacated from the hall/apartment after the assigned deadline; this fee is assessed daily.
- Overnight Check-Out - $150. This fee is billed to students who remain overnight after their specific closing deadline.
- In order to avoid these fees, you should depart by the assigned deadline. It is also important to note that the graduation status of your roommates have no bearing on your departure time. If you or your items remain after your specific deadline, even if your roommates have permission to remain in the space, you will be billed the applicable fees.
Please note, that from May 12th – June 1st all rooms will receive a visit from the Residential & Student Life staff. If any damages or issues are found in your room that were not present during move-in or marked down on the Room Condition Report available at the beginning of the academic year on MyHelitrope you may be billed. Please feel free to ask your RC about specific check-out questions or concerns.
- Dorm Room Movers
- Cube Smart Self Storage - 914-682-7998
- Westy Self Storage - 914-997-7771
- U-Haul Moving & Storage of White Plains - 914-949-2525
- Vanguard Self Storage - 914-939-0500
- Meal Plans end TBD
- The loop will end TBD
Please email our office with any questions.
Electronic Check Out
Complete your electronic checkout on your Housing Portal on the day that you leave campus using the steps below:
- Go to the Current Students page .
- Click on myHeliotrope
- Sign in using your email and password.
- Click the Housing and Meal Plan Box
- Click on Housing
- While in the MyHousing Portal, Scroll down to Begin Express Check Out
- Click on the button
- You will then receive a confirmation screen. Click again to confirm.
- You are all checked out!
2023–2024 Residence Hall Closing and Opening Dates
- Thursday, August 24, 2023: New students move in
- Friday, August 25 & Saturday, August 26, 2023: Returning students move in
- Friday, December 15, 2023: All residential areas (including apartments) close at 7 pm for winter break
- Sunday, January 21, 2024: All residential areas open at 11 am for the spring semester
- Wednesday, May 15, 2024: All non-graduating students must move out by 10 am
- Friday, May 17, 2024: All graduating students must move out by 9 pm