Online Writing Lab
Welcome to the Purchase College Online Writing Lab!
Our writing tutors are available to provide feedback on your written work. Follow all instructions carefully to ensure that you receive the best possible response. Please note that writing tutors will not proofread or correct your work for you; rather, you will receive suggestions, guidance, and feedback.
If you are a first-year student or a multilingual writer, we recommend that you start with face-to-face tutoring appointments, until you become more familiar with the conventions of academic writing.
How to submit to the OWL:
1. Log into the online scheduling system. The schedule can be accessed here. There are two schedules available: one for face-to-face tutoring sessions and one for the Online Writing Lab (OWL). Be sure to select the correct schedule from the drop-down list at the top of the page before selecting a time slot.
2. Double click on one of the white squares to select a time. Fill out the submission form, and be certain to include the assignment prompt in the space provided. Select the two areas you would like feedback on by checking the corresponding boxes.
3. Once you have saved your appointment, you will be given the opportunity to attach your document. Do not close the window until you have uploaded and attached your document in a .doc or .rtf file format. Please include only one essay per submission. Our tutors will provide you with feedback on 5 pages of your essay submission. If your essay is longer than 5 pages, please indicate the 5 pages on which you would like to receive feedback.
4. Once your essay has been reviewed, you will receive an e-mail to your purchase account. Locate your appointment within the schedule to find the updated document with your tutor’s feedback. You must click the “previous week” tab at the top of the schedule to find the date and time on which you submitted your essay. Download the document.
5. Allow at least 2 business days for feedback to arrive. Tutors do not work on weekends.
OWL Frequently Asked Questions
Who are the OWL tutors?
The OWL tutors are the same writing tutors that work in the Learning Center for one-on-one writing appointments. They have all been recommended by faculty members and excel in the areas of writing and reading. The tutors also continually undergo training throughout the year.
What kind of help can I expect from the OWL tutors?
The OWL tutors will provide feedback on up to two specific areas of concentration (see list of areas on the OWL submission form). The tutor will provide feedback on how to progress with your essay and improve your writing skills. The tutor will also provide 3—5 in-text comments (in bold font). Note: The OWL tutors will not correct your papers for you.
How many times may I submit an essay to the OWL?
You can submit the same essay up to three times. Students may schedule up to three appointments per week, in any combination of face-to-face sessions and OWL submissions.
When can I submit my paper?
You may submit a paper at any time through the online scheduling system, though please allow 1—2 business days for feedback to arrive in your inbox. As our tutors do not work at night or on weekends, essays submitted after 4:00pm will first be logged on the next business day. Essays submitted during the weekend will first be logged on Monday. Please submit your essays well in advance of any due dates to allow enough time for your revision process.
Do I have to submit complete drafts?
No. Feel free to submit at any stage of the writing process. Questions, paragraphs, rough drafts, and outlines are welcome.
How many pages will my writing tutor provide feedback on?
Our writing tutor will provide feedback on as many as 5 pages of your essay per OWL submission. If your essay is longer than 5 pages, please indicate which 5 pages of the essay you would like feedback on from your writing tutor.
Can I submit my whole senior project to the OWL?
Your writing tutor will provide you with feedback on 5 pages per OWL submission. Please submit the 5 pages of your senior project that you would like to receive feedback on.
As you may schedule up to three appointments per week, in any combination of face-to-face sessions and OWL submissions, you may choose to submit your senior project to the OWL in increments in accordance with this policy.