Becoming a Tutor
Peer tutoring is a great way to refresh your academic skills, build your teaching skills, and add relevant experience to your résumé. Tutoring offers flexibility; we work around your schedule to set convenient hours. Both work study and non-work study students may be peer tutors. Tutors can also opt for an internship of 2, 3, or 4 credits instead.
The Learning Center hires for the academic year, with the hiring process occurring in April. To apply for 2019-2020, resumes and faculty recommendations should be submitted to email@example.com by April 1.
To be considered for a tutor position, students must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Minimum B+ average in relevant coursework
- At least one faculty recommendation
- Qualification to tutor in writing, as well as additional subjects related to major
- Enjoy working with different types of people and different skill levels
To remain in the position, every semester, students are required to:
- Maintain GPA and make satisfactory degree progress
- Attend training sessions offered by the Learning Center
- Demonstrate successful tutoring sessions
- Demonstrate professionalism
The College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) has awarded ITTPC program certification to Purchase College’s Learning Center Tutor Training Program that qualifies us to certify tutors who complete the full training program as Level I Certified Tutors.