Becoming a Tutor
Peer tutoring is a great way to refresh your academic skills, build your teaching skills, and add relevant experience to your résumé. Tutoring offers flexibility; we work around your schedule to set convenient hours. During their first semester, tutors complete an internship for which they earn either 2,3 or 4 credits. After completion, interns may be hired as paid peer tutors. Both work study and non-work study students may be peer tutors.
To be considered for a tutor position, students must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Minimum B+ average in relevant coursework
- At least one faculty recommendation
- Enjoy working with different types of people and different skill levels
To remain in the position, every semester, students are required to:
- Maintain GPA and make satisfactory degree progress
- Attend training sessions offered by the Learning Center
- Demonstrate successful tutoring sessions
- Demonstrate professionalism
The College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) has awarded ITTPC program certification to Purchase College’s Learning Center Tutor Training Program that qualifies us to award program certification for our tutors as Level I Certified Tutors.