COVID-19 Occupancy Guidelines
Area occupancy must be adjusted per COVID-19 guidelines. These guidelines are in place to ensure social distancing of at least six feet between each person in the area.
Six feet of space can be achieved by ensuring at least 36 square feet per person.
In addition to calculating a maximum occupancy, an understanding of how the area will be used is essential. For example, an area with fixed seating is easier to adjust than an area that will be used by people constantly moving about. Fixed seats can be marked or otherwise designated as being available or not available. For classrooms, instructors teaching space should not be included in the square footage calculation. Please allow for enough space for the instructor to move around the front of the classroom appropriately.
After an adjusted occupancy is determined for a given space and activity, it may be necessary to adjust the occupancy based on a review of the space.
Even after determining the occupancy per COVID-19 guidelines, mask use will still be required.
In-Person Event Requests
Campus departments, student groups, and independent organizers considering holding an in-person/face-to-face event or gathering must complete and submit an In-Person Event Request describing the event and controls that will be implemented to the Student Services Working Group for clearance 21 business days prior to the event. Adjusted occupancy will be reviewed when the submission is received.
Student Film Shoots
Students planning a film shoot on campus shall complete a Student Film Shoot Details Form for each filming location. An “In-Person Event Requests” form described above, must be submitted as well.
A general rule for adjusting spaces is to ensure 36 of usable and free floor square feet per person. This rule does not take into account how a particular space is configured.
To assist area users in determining adjusted capacities, a Capacity Calculations spreadsheet has been developed. To use the spreadsheet, follow these steps:
- Enter the room number or other designation.
- Briefly describe the Planned Configuration, for example, will there be fixed or movable seating, or another configuration. The information entered in this field is important as it can be used in the future to verify the setup hasn’t changed which would require recalculating the adjusted occupancy.
- Measure the square footage of the room or area, unless a reliable measurement is already available. Include only the area where students will be during the class. Instructors teaching space should not be included in the square footage calculation. Please allow for enough space for the instructor to move around the front of the classroom appropriately.
- Enter the dimension in the Square Feet column and the spreadsheet will populate the Adjusted Occupancy field.
- For fixed seating, seated occupancy shall be configured to ensure 6 feet between each person, in all directions. This may result in rows with staggered designated seats or rows being partially vacant. Keep in mind that a reduced occupancy doesn’t mean everyone can be crammed together, maintaining 6 feet around each person is the goal.
- Retain completed spreadsheet for reference.
- If after applying these guidelines, assistance is still needed to determine square footage or occupancy please enter a work order.
Once an adjusted occupancy has been determined, please use the sign template to post the COVID-1 occupancy.