SUNY Instructional Design Services: Brightspace Faculty Webinar Series (Fall 2023)
SUNY Online Teaching Brightspace Webinars
Join SUNY Instructional Designer Rob Piorkowski for the next sessions in a series of SUNY Online Instructional Design Services webinars about effective use of Brightspace!
Week 8: Creating Gradable Activities in Brightspace (TBA) Zoom Link
This webinar will provide a demonstration of how to build gradable activities in Brightspace. Participants will be guided through the Brightspace interface, and will learn about features in Brightspace available to instructors for tasking students with activities to demonstrate their skills and knowledge.
- review the features in Brightspace for creating online course assignments (and how to have them appear in the grade book, or not),
- create online discussions and learn the differences between Brightspace Forums, Topics and Threads, and how to implement and assess them in an online course effectively and efficiently,
- view a demonstration of how to create quiz questions and implement quizzes in Brightspace.
- view an in-depth demonstration of how to create and use Rubrics in Brightspace and in the grading process, and
- be provided with general information on how to add and set up third-party applications for use in courses (publisher software).
With a basic understanding of approaches to creating gradable activities in the Brightspace platform, participants will have all the basic information needed to create gradable activities in the Brightspace environment.
Week 7: Creating Content, Organizing Modules Using Best Practices & Options with Page Templates (TBA) | Zoom Link
This webinar will provide an overview of how to create and organize content in the Brightspace platform. Participants will gain an understanding of online best practices in online content presentation, and view demonstrations on how to create, organize, move, delete, and optimize the presentation of various types of content in Brightspace. This session will provide all the information necessary to ensure that your online content leverages features and functionality in Brightspace and is optimized for mobile devices and accessibility in the Brightspace environment.
- learn how to navigate and update the course homepage (and all related links) in Brightspace,
- view a demonstration on how to set up course preferences and notifications.
- learn how to create, move, and delete new course modules, course assignments, and content pages,
- be provided with an overview of Brightspace HTML document–level templates to optimize the presentation of content at the page level, including Brightspace page elements, accordion, tabs, etc.,
- review how to upload new course content that is optimized for mobile devices and accessibility, and
- review how to create links to external resources, embed videos, and use the communication tools in Brightspace.
With a basic understanding of how to create and organize online course content in the Brightspace platform, participants will have all the basic information needed to make sure that their online course content is optimized in the Brightspace environment.
Note: The chat will be moderated throughout the webinar and questions pertaining to the topics listed above will be addressed during a designated question and answer period. For questions on using any and all features of Brightspace, please contact the SUNY Online Help Desk at any time.
About the Instructors
Rob Piorkowski is an expert online instructional designer, a fellow online instructor with 15+ years teaching online and an experienced online faculty trainer for SUNY Online. He is also a lead SUNY DLE trainer with extensive expertise in training and in the D2L Brightspace platform.
- Week 7: Creating Content, Organizing Modules Using Best Practices & Options with Page Templates | TBA
- Week 8: Creating Gradable Activities in Brightspace | TBA
All previous webinar recordings, chat transcripts, and presentations slides can be found at https://bit.ly/purchaseIDsupport.