Summer 2021 Moodle Tips
Here are some useful Moodle Basics tips to help you get organized as Summer sessions get underway!
Accessing Purchase College Moodle
Activate your Purchase College account (or to reset your password), if needed. Visit Online Account Activation/Password Reset and choose the appropriate “Activate” or “Reset” option.
If you are not yet associated with any course spaces on Moodle, please contact the Office of the Registrar to confirm that you are properly tagged as the instructor of record on your course(s).
Consult the COVID-19 Remote Teaching Resources Guide for information specific to remote instruction.
EmTech Wiki Essential Toolbox
If you’re looking for inspiration, SUNY Buffalo’s “EmTechWIKI Essential Toolbox” highlights commonly used resources to move online quickly and efficiently.
Discover additional tools and applications based on your specific objectives in the following categories:
Lifelong Learning Communication & Collaboration
Creativity Critical Thinking
Working with Content & Documents in Moodle
- Get to know the new and improved Moodle Activity Chooser
Upload files into your Moodle course
- Improve accessibility of course documents using Ally
- Link to Library resources using EZproxy
- Reuse (import) previous content into another Moodle space
- Embed YouTube videos in your course
Moodle Course Views
- Set your course availability (show/hide)
- Add the ‘Activities’ and ‘People’ blocks to your course to improve navigation
- Combine Moodle course sections into one “meta course”
- View your course from the student perspective (switch role to Student)
- Make your Gradebook visible to enrolled students in your course
- Use Moodle on your mobile device (Moodle Mobile app)
Managing Course Participants
If you notice inconsistencies between your schedule / class lists in MyHeliotrope and enrollments in Moodle, you will need to create a ticket using the CTS Helpdesk Work Order System (WOT) to request that data be synced between the two systems.
Please note that the TLTC cannot resolve enrollment issues.
- Add a learning assistant, course librarian, faculty member, senior auditor to your course
- Set up and take attendance in your course using the Attendance activity
Moodle Course Communication Tools
- Send an email (course announcement) to your entire class
- Use Moodle Messaging to communicate with individual or groups of students
- Manage your Moodle Notification preferences (when/how frequently you get Moodle-generated emails)
Creating Moodle Activities & Assignments
- Schedule and start Zoom sessions from within your Moodle course
- Set up a basic Moodle assignment to collect work from students
- Set up an Annotate PDF assignment that you can markup
- Set up a Turnitin assignment to foster academic integrity
- Create quiz questions and build a Quiz using the Quiz activity
- Create a discussion forum to encourage conversation among students
Use Perusall in your course to encourage social reading and annotation
- Review the Perusall Quick Start tutorial on YouTube
Create a VoiceThread activity in your course
- Learn more about how to use new assignment features in VoiceThread
- Watch recent VoiceThread workshop recording about New Assignment Features
- Review the Using VoiceThread for Asynchronous, Interactive Lectures workshop recording and Building a VoiceThread Presentation tutorial on YouTube
- Check out how to use new assignment features in VoiceThread
- Add ThinkingStorm to connect your students with available tutoring services
- Set up your Moodle Gradebook with weighted categories
Make your Gradebook visible to enrolled students in your course
- Review the Moodle Basics: Grading, Assessments, and Using the Gradebook workshop recording on YouTube
2021 Academic Calendar
Summer Session 2021
Session I: Monday, June 7 - Friday, July 2
Session II: Monday, June 7 - Friday, July 30
Session III: Monday, July 5 - Friday, July 30