Fall Application Only: March 1, 2020
- SUNY APP and Purchase Supplemental Application, or Common App
- Application fee - $50 for either application (March 1st deadline)
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation
- Portfolio and Interview, nonrefundable $50 interview fee and $10 SlideRoom fee (March 1st deadline)
- OPTIONAL: SAT and/or ACT scores
Once the students application is received from the Common App or from SUNY, students will receive an email with their Purchase Application ID and a direct link to the Theatre Design/Technology Slideroom form.
2020 dates not yet available
Applicants will be notified of decisions within two to three weeks of their interviews. If you are offered admission, you will need to accept our offer in writing and you will be required to submit an enrollment deposit by May 1.
Portfolio and Interview Requirements
Online interview requests for the BFA Theatre Design Technology program will open October 2018 in our SlideRoom portal. To register for an interview you must first submit an application to the college for the BFA Theatre Design Technology program. Only applicants to the college for the BFA Theater Design Technology program will be able to register for an interview. Applicants will be emailed the interview registration instructions. The non-refundable interview fee of $50 plus the $5 SlideRoom submission fee (total $55) must be submitted online at the time of your interview submission.
Please do not call the conservatory to schedule an interview. All interviews are scheduled online.
Admission to the BFA Theatre Design/Technology program is highly selective and is based on a required interview with the Design/Technology faculty and a review of the students overall application by Admissions. Only exceptionally talented students who can demonstrate a high level of ability, creativity and commitment in the interview will be offered admission.
Read Night of the Iguana: Read the play Night of the Iguana, by Tennessee Williams. Questions about this play will be asked during the interview.
Prepare a Resume: Your resume should include a complete list of your theatrical experiences. It should include titles of works, duties performed, locations of performances and the name of the directors, designers and stage managers with whom you have worked. Bring one copy of your resume with you to the interview.
Letters of Recommendation: Please bring two letters of recommendation (in sealed envelopes) with you when you come for your interview.
Photograph of yourself: Please bring a photograph of yourself to the interview.
Prepare and Submit your Portfolio: Prepare a portfolio that includes examples of design and/ or technical work that you have done in high school, community theatres, summer stock, or at other colleges, to be submitted as follows:
- Submit three to five examples of your portfolio pieces and a photograph of yourself online at *SlideRoom. There is a $5 fee per portfolio submission payable in SlideRoom. You can upload images, documents, or videos and share links to online videos in SlideRoom.
- You must also bring your actual portfolio materials with you to your interview.
When submitting your portfolio pieces, please observe the following guidelines for each respective specialization:
- Costume Design: Drawings, paintings, and/or garments that you have made. These items need not be theatrical.
- Lighting Design: Drawings, paintings, photography, drafting plots and lighting plots.
- Scene Design: Drawings, paintings, still life or still life studies and drafting designs.
- Costume Technology: Samples of costume construction, photos of work that has been built, drawings and other artwork.
- Stage Management: Prompt scripts, cue sheets, ground plans, rehearsal notes and programs.
- Technical Direction/Production Management: Drafting samples, objects that you have built, photographs and production paperwork.
2019 Interview Tour Dates
February 12, 2019
March 12, 2019
New York City:
January 26, 2019
Skype/telephone interviews are available if needed. Students requesting a Skype interview should request the Skype interview date when submitting interview request online. Once you have registered for an interview, please email email@example.com to notify the department that you would like to interview via Skype.
For additional information about the Theatre Design Technology BFA program visit Conservatory of Theatre Arts.