Requirements for Major
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all playwriting and screenwriting majors must meet the following requirements (54 credits):
Foundation courses: 23 credits
- PSW 1000/Playwriting I: 4 credits
- PSW 1010/Screenwriting I: 4 credits
- CIN 1500/Introduction to Cinema Studies I: 4 credits
- PSW 2000/Screenwriting II: 4 credits
- PSW 2010/Playwriting II: 4 credits
- THP 2885/Theatre Histories I or THP 2890/Theatre Histories II: 3 credits
Electives: 17 credits
Students choose their electives in consultation with their faculty advisor. At least 10 of the 17 credits must be upper level. Courses in the list of examples are subject to change, and new courses may be added.
Synthesis courses: 14 credits
- PSW 3880/Junior Seminar: 4 credits
- PSW 4880/Senior Colloquium in Playwriting and Screenwriting: 2 credits
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I: 4 credits
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II: 4 credits
Effective Fall 2018
Playwriting/Screenwriting majors are required to complete a minor (or a 2nd major) in a liberal arts field of study. This excludes certain minors which students are still encouraged to pursue but they will not fulfill the requirement. Excluded minors are: Arts Management, Film/Video Production, Music, Theater and Performance, Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Students may still pursue these excluded minors (or 2nd majors) in addition to the minor requirement and will have room in their schedule to do so. If a student wishes to pursue liberal arts study in a field which does not offer a minor, a 5 course concentration with two upper level electives (minimum of 18 credits including a minimum of 6 upper-level credits) can be substituted in consultation with their advisor.
Playwriting/Screenwriting Double Majors
P laywriting/Screenwriting double majors are required to take Junior Seminar in either playwriting or screenwriting. They are not required to do the Senior Project or Senior Colloquium if they choose a Senior Project in their other major. Double majors in the non-excluded areas of study will fulfill the required minor.