In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all journalism majors must complete the following:
I. Introductory Courses: 6 credits
These two introductory courses are the only journalism courses open to freshmen.
- JOU 1500/Introduction to Media: 3 credits
- JOU 2150/History of Journalism: 3 credits
II. Central Courses: 22 credits
- JOU 2515/Journalism I: 4 credits*
- JOU 2915/Journalism II: 4 credits*
- JOU 3080/Freedom and the Media: 4 credits
- JOU 3880/Junior Seminar in Journalism: 2 credits
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I: 4 credits
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II: 4 credits
*Students must earn a minimum grade of C+ in JOU 2515 and 2915, which must be taken initially and in sequence.
III. Journalism Electives: 10–12 credits
Three journalism electives, chosen from the list below. For students who begin the major from fall 2020 onward, at least one of the three electives must be a practical course in visual journalism (denoted by an asterisk).
Please note: New courses may be added to this list. Students should check with their faculty advisor to determine if a new course is an appropriate elective.
- JOU 3040/Race, Gender, and the Media
- PHI 3085/Objectivity
- JOU 3100/Photojournalism*
- JOU 3120/First-Person Reporting
- JOU 3130/News Documentary (added Spring 2017)
- JOU 3160/Broadcast News I*
- JOU 3170/Broadcast News II
- JOU 3200/Feature Writing
- JOU 3220/The Art of Sportswriting
- JOU 3230/The Beat of Music Journalism
- JOU 3260/Environmental Journalism
- JOU 3350/Community Reporting
- JOU 3374/The Literature of Journalism
- JOU 3500/Multimedia Tools*
- JOU 3600/News Editing
- LIT 3635/Reviewing the Contemporary Novel
- JOU 3780/Criticism/Reviewing Workshop
- JOU 4010/Covering the Arts
- JOU 4020/International Issues Reporting
- JOU 4150/Investigative Reporting
- JOU 4320/Broadcast Writing
IV. Other Studies
Five electives in one area of study within the liberal arts and sciences, chosen in consultation with the faculty advisor. (Many students will find it appropriate to earn a minor.) The per-course credits vary, but the credit total is typically 18 to 20. A minimum of 9 credits must be upper-level.
Updates to the 2019-20 College Catalog
- Added the practical course in visual journalism elective requirement for students who begin the major from fall 2020 onward.