Federal Work Study
This program allows students to work on a part-time basis to earn money to pay for indirect costs. Funding is extremely limited. Students must be eligible for need-based financial aid and have their application submitted in a timely manner to be considered for Federal Work-Study. Please note that due to the mandatory spending cuts by the federal government through sequestration, Federal Work-Study funds may be reduced and/or cancelled. If a revision is made to your award, we will send a new award notice.
Earnings are not paid to the student’s bill, but received in a paycheck/direct deposit to your bank account. If you are awarded and accept a Federal Work-Study position, you will work an allotted amount of hours per week at an on-campus job. Please note that students can only hold one Federal Work-Study position at a time. You will be paid every two weeks.
New Policy and Procedures:
Please follow the instructions to be hired. ALL requirements must be met before any employment on campus begins.
Instructions for Payroll requirements can be found on the Work Study Online Portal:
- Accept or decline your award
- Hand in all the required Hire Forms to Student Financial Services
- Apply! Job postings can be found on JobScore - linked here
Wait for a supervisor to offer you a position.
- To initiate the Hire Form process; your direct supervisor MUST email our office
- A Hire Form will need to be submitted to be signed electronically by both student and potential supervisor.
- Allow 4-5 Business Days for students to be assigned a SUNY ID (Required for access to Timesheets)
- Click on the SUNY Timesheets Tab to submit Timesheets
Please contact our office to inquiry Hiring a Student Worker
- Supervisor MUST submit a request for all potential hires before the student begins working
Both supervisor and student MUST sign Hire Form to be assigned a SUNY ID
- Accepted = Hire Form has been satisfied
- Approved= Pending student signature
- If a student has Work Study, this does not guarantee that they will be offered a position (job placement is on a first come first serve basis and must be approved by our office).
How do I submit timesheets?
- Timesheets may be submitted by clicking on the SUNY Timesheets link in the menu. This link will only be available once your account is active. Please see instructions on how to login to the SUNY Portal (Linked here).
I do not see the SUNY Timesheets link. What do I do?
- The SUNY Timesheets link will only be available once your account is active. This can take a few days/weeks. Please contact the SFS Work Study coordinator for more details.
How to login to the SUNY Timesheets?
- For the first time you login to the SUNY, you will need your SUNY ID. Subsequent logins will prompt you for your myHeliotrope login details.
Where to find my SUNY ID?
- Once your account is active, your SUNY ID can be found on any of your applications. Click on the View Application button on any of your applications on the Home Page.
- Please note that this field will remain blank until your account is active. *(After Hire Forms have been signed by both student and supervisor, it can take 4-5 business for SUNY IDs to become available)
Where can I find my electronic Hire Form?
- Completed Hire Forms can be found in the Work Study Online Application. Hire Forms pending signature(s) will be sent via email to both students and supervisors.
Can students work on campus without having Work Study?
- Because work study is very limited, all students can apply for positions under Student Assistant. We encourage all students to apply through JobScore
Can a student hold more than one Federal Work Study position?
- Unfortunately, students can only be employed at one Federal Work-Study position at a time.
Can a Student who is on Federal Work Study Payroll be placed on Direct Deposit?
- All students are encouraged to enroll in Direct Deposit. Please be sure to fill out the form and submit to Payroll directly (Campus Center South 3rd FL)
When can you expect to get paid?
- There is a Payroll Schedule that should be followed by all Federal Work Study students. This includes when timesheets are due and when payment for that specific pay period will be issued.
Students who wish to be added to the Work Study Waitlist are encouraged to email our office.
*Please note that Federal Work Study funding is extremely limited for the 2023-2024 academic year.
For further questions/concerns please email our office - SFS.firstname.lastname@example.org