The Purchase College Food Support Network aims to alleviate food insecurity, combat food waste, and promote sustainable food systems among our campus community by providing resources to those in need and enhance public awareness through education and advocacy.
The Food Pantry is located in Fort Awesome, next door to the Starbucks.
How It Works
Students will be asked to fill out USDA paperwork to verify status. Otherwise, use of the pantry is confidential.
Fall 2023 Hours
What We Do
The Campus Pantry distributes good quality and nutritious emergency food to Purchase College students. It also works to raise awareness around hunger issues, especially as experienced by low-income college students, and encourages student engagement to foster a sense of community and service to peers on campus.
Follow us on our Instagram for updates and new deliveries of food and items to the pantry!
- Creating a safe space to distribute good quality and nutritious emergency food to current Purchase College students.
- Creating and promoting a space on campus dedicated to food donation collection.
- Collecting good quality and nutritious food items (donations) that may otherwise go to waste to enhance sustainability initiatives on campus.
- Encouraging student engagement to foster a sense of community, volunteerism, and service to peers on campus.
According to studentsagainsthunger.org, a combined 48% of students surveyed report low or very low food security.
- 22% Very low food security
- 26% Low food security
- 21% Marginal food security
- 31% High food security
Furthermore, these percentages of students altered their eating habits because they did not have enough money for food:
- 44% cut the size of your meals or skip meals
- 15% lost weight
- 20% did not eat for a whole day
Mobile Food Pantry
Once a month, a Mobile Pantry will visit campus. The new Mobile Food Pantry will bring fresh protein, dairy, produce, and grains directly to campus to assist all members of the campus community. An estimated 4,000–5,000 pounds of food will be available at the Mobile Food Pantry!
Mobile Pantry Dates for 22-23 Academic Year
Mobile pantries take place one Wednesday a month from 1:00-2:00pm at the Fort Awesome parking lot, next to Starbucks. Rain location: Breezeway between Starbucks and the More Store.
- September 6, 2023
- October 4, 2023
- November 1, 2023
- December 6, 2023
- February 7, 2024
- March 6, 2024
- April 3, 2024
- May 8, 2024
The food pantry is supported through donations from, and the kindness of, the campus community and other partners.
For donations of non-perishable food items, please contact Lizz Elvira to make arrangements.
Prefer to Donate Financially?
Visit the Purchase Give website by clicking the button above. Under “I want to support,” select “The Make an Impact Food Insecurity Fund.”