CREAR Futuros, which means “To Create Futures” in Spanish, is a peer-mentor based initiative designed to improve student success at Purchase College.
CREAR (College Readiness, Achievement and Retention) students will be paired with one of four knowledgeable and highly trained Purchase College upper class Peer-Mentors that will introduce them to campus resources and offer insight on how to make the most out of their Purchase College experience.
What is CREAR Futuros?
CREAR (College Readiness, Achievement and Retention) Futuros is a peer-mentor program that recruits qualified Latinx students in participating educational institutions to mentor, guide, and support younger students, or mentees. Mentors assist mentees regarding tutoring, financial aid, and resources available to them including, Hispanic Federation’s community-based organizations program.
How Does CREAR Futuros Work?
CREAR Futuros is a “Community of Care” model program that is providing Latinx college students with direct, place-based supports. The program boosts Latinx students’ GPA, course completion, and graduation retention rates by fostering connections, leadership, and community.
CREAR Futuros use a synergistic approach to enhance communication, promote knowledge sharing, and bridge the gap of inequality.
What Are the Benefits of Joining?
- Join a National Network of Latinx Leaders
- Receive 1-on-1 Support from a Peer Mentor
- Exclusive Hispanic Federation and partner events
- Special workshops and professional development opportunities
- A fun, cultural environment!
What Are My Mentee Responsibilities?
- 1 year commitment (September through May)
- Engage in communications with your mentor
- Attend monthly in-person/virtual trainings/webinars
- Attend biweekly one-on-one in-person/virtual meeting with your mentor
How Do I Sign Up?
Thank you for your interest in becoming a CREAR Futuros mentee. Sixty (60) Freshman applicants will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.