Purchase Outbound Exchange Programs
Applying to an exchange program is a multi-step process. The general steps are described below. Our office is available to offer support every step of the way.
- Create an online profile in our Horizons application system.
- Choose your program and complete the online exchange nomination application form in Horizons including a personal statement, transcript, and two faculty recommendations.
- OGE reviews nomination applications and receives input from academic departments.
- Participate in an interview with an OGE advisor.
- If nominated, complete the host institution application.
- If accepted by the host institution, complete post-acceptance steps including submitting a Pre-Approval to Transfer Credits form available in Horizons,* attending a pre-departure orientation, and completing a visa application (if applicable).
- After committing to the program, tuition, fees, and International Medical Insurance will be billed directly by Purchase College Student Financial Services office. Room and board payments vary by program.**
Application Deadline for Spring semester abroad: Rolling basis until October 1st
Application Deadline for Fall/Academic year abroad: Rolling basis until March 1st
*Credits earned abroad are considered transfer credits and are not averaged into your Purchase GPA. You should be particularly careful to obtain study abroad pre-approval of the program from your department before you make a commitment to the program; it is not guaranteed that credits will fulfill degree requirements.
**Visit our Withdrawals & Refund Policies page for more information about what happens if you can no longer participate in a program you have committed to.