Main content

Non-SUNY Programs

Students interested in participating in a non-SUNY or third party provider study abroad program, will apply directly to the respective organization in accordance with their application instructions. Students participating in a non-SUNY semester or year-long study abroad program are required to take a leave of absence from Purchase.

After you have been accepted and have decided to participate, you must then complete the Purchase College ‘Non-Purchase Study Abroad Programs’ registration page. If you get clearance by the Office of Community Standards, your registration will be approved.

Once approved, you get access to the Study Abroad Pre-Approval to Transfer Credits Form, available in Horizons, which is required in order to transfer credits to Purchase. All credit is viewed as transfer credit.* You should be particularly careful to obtain study abroad pre-approval of the program from your department before you make a commitment to the program; it is not guaranteed that credits will fulfill degree requirements. You must be certain that you can obtain a U.S. transcript, or a transcript from a U.S. accredited institution or organization.

All payments including tuition, fees, room and board, and other program costs are made directly to the administering organization or campus.

*The credits you receive abroad are treated as transfer credits, the grades are not averaged into your GPA.