Main content

Health Insurance

Purchase students participating in any Purchase College or SUNY sponsored study abroad program are required to be enrolled in the SUNY international comprehensive health insurance policy through United Healthcare. 

This insurance cannot be waived, even if your own private health insurance provides abroad coverage.

United Healthcare (UHC) provides the SUNY coverage for medical treatment due to accident or illness. Once you have been enrolled in the SUNY insurance, you will receive instructions from United Healthcare to register and access your account. Please do this as soon as possible, as there is much valuable information available on the website.

You will also receive an email from that an ID card is available for you. To view, download or request a hard copy ID Card, please visit: Your health insurance ID card can be printed, which is your proof of coverage. 

For more details about the plan, review the Study Abroad Health Insurance Brochure.

Please note that the international health insurance policy becomes effective once you are abroad. It does not cover any medical expenses in the U.S. To avoid any gaps in coverage, make sure you are covered by your current domestic health insurance until your date of departure from the U.S.