Main content


If your study abroad program takes you outside the US you will need a valid passport. You should apply for a passport immediately upon acceptance to a program because it can take six to eight weeks for standard processing and most passport acceptance facilities require appointments.

U.S. and non-U.S. citizens need a passport both to enter other countries (including Canada and Mexico) and return to the United States. If you already have a passport, make sure it is valid until at least six months after your return date (Note: some countries, such as Russia, require that your passport is valid for 18 months following the completion of your program).

New U.S. passports are good for ten years. Apply early to avoid complications caused by misplaced original birth certificates and similar problems.

If your passport is expired or will expire before the 6 months following your program, you will need to renew it, which takes about 4-6 weeks. 


Passport forms can be found in various locations:

  1. Online at the US Department of State website
  2. In our Office for Global Education on the 2nd floor of the Student Services Building
  3. At the facility where you apply

Complete them legibly and in BLACK INK ONLY or the acceptance agent may ask that you complete a new form.


In order to apply you need:

  • The completed form
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e. certified copy of your birth certificate or certificate of naturalization)
  • Proof of identity (i.e. a valid driver’s license or military ID. For students with license from outside New York, you will also need your Purchase student ID.)
  • Two (2) passport-style photographs (2” x 2” with white background.)
  • Appropriate fees in check or money order. Checks should be permanent checks rather than starter checks. If you do not have a checking account, you can often buy money orders where you have your passport photos taken.

Where to apply

You must submit your application to a passport acceptance facility, which require that you have an appointment.

To find the best location to apply, click here


Passport fees can be found here

Once you have your passport, be sure to sign it and fill in the emergency information page.