External Scholarships & Grants
There are a plethora of study abroad scholarships that you can apply for. Some have specific eligibility requirements, such as location (continent/country), length of study abroad program (semester/academic year/summer/winter), citizenship*, heritage and major. With that said, please read through the eligibility requirements before starting the application.
Below are some of the scholarships available for students who study abroad.
The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population. In addition to the FEA General Scholarship, applicants are also considered for over 30 possible scholarships with partner organizations.
- Eligibility requirements: U.S. citizen enrolled as an undergraduate in the U.S. applying for a credit bearing program that is at least 28 days long
- Potential award: Up to $10,000
- Terms: Summer, Fall, Spring , Academic-Year
- Preferences: Students with demonstrated financial need and from underrepresented groups including first-generation college, minority, and community college students
- Application deadline: Mid-September for spring programs; Mid-January for summer, fall, and full academic year programs
Supports Pell grant recipients for non-traditional study abroad destinations (especially those outside Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand). Reach out to Purchase’s Gilman advisor on campus, Marjorie Ramirez to learn more.
- Eligibility requirements: U.S Citizens who are also Pell Grant recipients
- Potential award: Up to $5,000
- Terms: fall, winter, spring, summer
- Application deadline: Early October and early March
The Boren Scholarship promotes long-term linguistic and cultural immersion in preferred regions (Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East) and in underrepresented languages for aspiring federal government employees. Proposed programs of two or more semesters are strongly encouraged with a minimum of 12 weeks for most programs.
- Eligibility Requirements: A U.S. citizen at the time of application, select a program that meets home institution standards
- Potential Award: Up to $20,000
- Term(s) Available: Summer (STEM only), Fall, Spring, Academic-Year
- Application deadline: Late January
Study Abroad Scholarship Search Engines and Other Opportunities
* Many study abroad scholarships are only available for American citizens