Main content

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students who meet all requirements of the college, including its academic standards, are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress. The following policies and procedures have been developed to measure the academic progress of undergraduate students.

Satisfactory Academic Progress: Calculating the GPA

All credit-bearing coursework for which a student is registered after the college’s withdrawal deadline is used to calculate the student’s grade point average (GPA).

Matriculated Students

Matriculated students are those who have been accepted as degree candidates at the college. The following applies to all matriculated undergraduate students:

  1. All undergraduate students are evaluated throughout the semester, although grades are only submitted once a semester. Grades of W, I, and WF and repeated courses may affect satisfactory academic progress (refer to the Grading System for the definitions of all grades).
  2. All undergraduate students are expected to maintain a minimum 2.0 (C) GPA each semester. Undergraduate students who have a semester GPA lower than 2.0 will be placed on probation and must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in the following semester to have their probationary status removed. An undergraduate student must have achieved a minimum 2.0 GPA at the time a degree is awarded.

Full-time matriculated students are defined as those who register for 12 or more credits in a given semester. All full-time matriculated students with lower than the required cumulative average are placed on probationary status or may be subject to dismissal. A full-time student whose probationary status is not removed after the probationary semester is subject to dismissal. Full-time students are academically reviewed each semester.

Part-time matriculated students are defined as those who register for fewer than 12 credits in a given semester. Therefore, a part-time student’s record is reviewed after each 12 credits of enrollment, regardless of the actual number of semesters during which the work was pursued.

Students who enroll for winter session and/or summer study are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress if their previous semester’s work has met the required standards.

Note: Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for financial aid (e.g., federal Title IV aid, state aid, and other loan programs) vary from those stated here; please consult the Office of Student Financial Services, (914) 251-7000, for specific guidelines.

Nonmatriculated Students

Nonmatriculated students who have attempted 12 or more credits will be academically dismissed if their cumulative GPA is below 2.0. They may appeal in writing for a Waiver of Academic Dismissal to the Registrar. A waiver will be granted only once. Students granted a waiver will remain on Academic Probation. If a waiver is not granted, dismissed students will not be permitted to re-enroll until two semesters have elapsed (not including winter or summer sessions) and only after the Registrar has reviewed and approved the request.