Main content

Off-Campus Study

Approval of Off-Campus Study

Eligible students must secure approval of off-campus study before leaving Purchase and are urged to talk with their academic advisor as early as possible during the semester preceding the anticipated off-campus study.

If the off-campus study is at an American institution in the U.S., students should obtain a pre-approval to transfer credits, available in the Office of the Registrar. The student completes the form in consultation with his or her advisor, who provides guidance regarding the specifics of the student’s program at another institution. Specific course titles and credits must be indicated on the form. The form is signed by the student and the advisor. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Eligibility for Study Abroad

In order to study abroad, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Be in good academic standing (> 2.5 GPA, though some programs require a higher GPA)
  • Have completed at least two semesters at a college or university. Transfer students are eligible after they have successfully completed one semester of full-time study at Purchase.
  • Not be on disciplinary or housing probation during any part of the proposed period of studying abroad
  • Receive approval from their academic advisor/department

All students are required to meet with the Education Abroad Coordinator in the Office for Global Education prior to studying abroad. For more information, please contact

Conditions and Considerations for Off-Campus Study and Study Abroad

  • Leaves are granted for no more than two consecutive semesters for students who enter Purchase as freshmen and who have beginning sophomore or junior status at the time a leave would take effect.
  • For the credit earned to be applied toward Purchase matriculation, a grade of D or higher must be earned in academic work taken off campus.
  • Study must be done at an accredited institution of higher education.
  • Any questions concerning financial aid should be discussed with staff members in the Office of Student Financial Services (Enrollment Services).
  • The student should give the Office of Residential and Student Life timely notice of his or her intention not to be in residence at Purchase.