Approval of Off-Campus Study
Eligible students must secure approval of off-campus study before leaving Purchase and are urged to talk with their academic advisor as early as possible during the semester preceding the anticipated off-campus study.
If the off-campus study is at an American institution in the U.S., students should obtain a Request for Preapproval to Transfer Credit, available in the Office of the Registrar. The student completes the form in consultation with his or her advisor, who provides guidance regarding the specifics of the student’s program at another institution. Specific course titles and credits must be indicated on the form. The form is signed by the student and the advisor. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
Eligibility for Study Abroad
- Students must attend a “Study Abroad 101” information session before submitting an application.
- Students must be in good standing (academic, financial, disciplinary) during the proposed period of study abroad.
- Freshman may be eligible for short-term study abroad opportunities after one semester of full-time study at Purchase, with special permission.
- Transfer students are eligible after they have successfully completed one semester of full-time study at Purchase.
- Seniors in their final semester are generally advised against off-campus study.
Students must complete the following before studying abroad: the (1) Request for Preapproval to Transfer Credit and (2) Approval for Study Abroad, available in the Office of the Registrar. The student completes these forms in consultation with his or her study abroad advisor, who provides guidance regarding the specifics of the student’s program at another institution. Specific course titles and credits must be indicated on the forms. The completed forms, signed by the student and his or her academic advisor, must be submitted by the student for approval to the Office for Global Education.
Students studying abroad through an approved SUNY program are:
- required to register and pay tuition through Purchase
- not considered to be on academic leave of absence
In addition to talking with an academic advisor, all students are strongly encouraged to meet with a study abroad advisor in the Office for Global Education to help plan for a summer session, winter session, semester, or academic-year study abroad program. For more information, please contact:
Anne Kern, Dean for Global Strategy and International Programs
Office for Global Education
Student Services Bldg., Second Floor
Conditions and Considerations for Off-Campus Study and Study Abroad
- Leaves are granted for no more than two consecutive semesters for students who enter Purchase as freshmen and who have beginning sophomore or junior status at the time a leave would take effect.
- For the credit earned to be applied toward Purchase matriculation, a grade of D or higher must be earned in academic work taken off campus.
- Study must be done at an accredited institution of higher education.
- Any questions concerning financial aid should be discussed with staff members in the Office of Student Financial Services (Enrollment Services).
- The student should give the Office of Community Engagement timely notice of his or her intention not to be in residence at Purchase.