Main content

Full-Time and Part-Time Status and Overload Approval

The minimum full-time semester workload is 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students. Certain forms of federal, state, and institutional financial aid require full-time status by the end of the add/drop period. Only full-time students are permitted to live on campus.

Overload Approval

To receive overload approval for a given semester, approval must be obtained from the appropriate chair or director by:

  1. students in the performing arts BFA and MusB programs who wish to register for more than 22 credits (a maximum of 30 credits is allowed each semester); and
  2. students in all other undergraduate degree programs who wish to register for more than 18 credits (a maximum of 24 credits is allowed each semester).

Part-Time Status

Undergraduate students who pursue fewer than 12 credits (and graduate students who pursue fewer than 9 credits) per semester have part-time status. Part-time matriculated students meet the same admission and degree requirements as full-time matriculated students. Students who wish to pursue part-time studies should consult with the chair or director and the board of study to determine whether a part-time program is available.

Nonmatriculated, Winter Session, and Summer Session Students

Course Load and Overload

Overload policies for nonmatriculated, winter session, and summer session students are determined by the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education:

  • During the academic year (fall and spring semesters), nonmatriculated students may take a maximum of 18 credits each semester without special permission.
  • Overloads are not permitted in winter session. Given the intensive pace of winter session courses, all students are limited to a maximum of 4 credits—no exceptions.
  • During summer session, all students may enroll for a maximum of 12 credits across the four summer sessions. Limits within the sessions are as follows: a maximum of 4 credits in the online Session I and a maximum of 8 credits in Sessions II, III, and IV combined. 
    Note: According to New York State policy, all students must pay for summer session courses on a per-credit basis. There are no special rates for 12 or more credits.

Students who want to take more than the maximum allowable credits in the fall, spring, or summer must return a completed Permission for Overload form to the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education with either (a) proof of a minimum 3.5 GPA or (b) written approval from the appropriate dean of their college. 

Overload applicants should allow at least a week for processing and will be notified by the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education if their application is approved. To reduce the chance of closed courses, students should register for the maximum allowable credits before seeking overload approval.