Referrals and Resources
- Full Service Outpatient Resources,
- Thriving Campus Web Search for Off Campus Providers &
- How to Find Mental Health Providers in the area
- Self-Help, Community, and Psycho-educational Resources for Mental Health and Substance Abuse and Recovery
On the Purchase College Bus Loop
*Please note that payment methods accepted by practitioners vary- private pay, sliding scale, insurance, Medicaid. Inquire when calling. Updated Fall 2019
- Family Services of Westchester (FSW) - WP Loop: 7-11 So. Broadway, White Plains; Phone (914) 948-8004 - ask for Lindsay March, x 22; wait list 1 month; FSW does not accept BlueCross BlueShield, Pomco, Aetna, Cigna or UMR
- Family Services of Westchester (FSW) - Portchester Loop: 1 Gateway Plaza Portchester; Phone (914)305-6837, ask for Lupita DeLuccia; Flexible or morning hours can be seen within a few weeks; longer wait for after school hours
- Mental Health Association - WP Loop; 300 Hamilton Avenue, White Plains: Phone (914) 345-0700; No wait list; Walk-In Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.; Insurance accepted: Medicaid and Medicare
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - WP Loop: 21 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains, NY; Phone (914) 997-4081, At least 4 week wait list; No walk in hours - call for appointment; For emergencies call: toll free # 888-694-5700 (24/7) for crisis intervention through NYP Evaluation Center; Accepts most insurances
- Open Door Medical Center - Port Chester Loop: 5 Grace Church St., Port Chester; Phone (914) 937-8899; provides comprehensive medical care. Interested students will need to receive their medical care from Open Door and be referred to to the mental health services if medical intake deems it ss appropriate. No waiting list; Students can call and schedule their appointments; No walk-ins; Please see their webpage for hours of operation.
- RDC for Counseling and Human Development - WP Loop; 52 N. Broadway, White Plains (by Pace University Law School); Phone (914) 798-1300; Commitment to affordable counseling for all; Accepts many insurances; Call to make an appointment, leave a clear message with your name and phone number; No walk-ins
- Therapy Center of New York - WP Loop; 34 South Broadway, White Plains; Phone (914) 946-4700 ( ask for Nia); No walk-ins, must call to schedule an appointment; Have your insurance card handy, ask for a provider who accepts your insurance; Insurance accepted: Self-pay, BCBS, Cigna, United Health Care (not the community plan), Oxford
- Westchester Jewish Community Services (WJCS) - WP Loop: 845 North Broadway, White Plains; Phone; (914) 761-0600 (ask for Eliana); Waiting list - 1 to 2 months; No walk-ins; Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
White Plains Hospital - WP Loop: Mental Health Clinic; 20 Davis Avenue, White Plains
(914) 681-1078; Medicaid, Medicare, and private accepted; Individual and group counseling, medication management
Off the Purchase College Bus Loop
- St. Vincent’s Hospital: 275 North St., Harrison, NY 10528; (914) 925-5320; Outpatient services call for evaluation & referral appointment; Walk-in hours from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Bring photo ID and insurance card; Accepts most insurances
- Manhattan Alternative is a search engine of intersectional mental health providers for LGBTQIA and BIPoC people in NYC.
- Search engine for Westchester County Behavioral and Mental Health Sites
When and How to Find a Mental Health Provider in the Area
Students whose needs fall outside our Scope of Practice or who seek long-term individual counseling are referred to community resources. Please read the Purchase College Counseling Center’s Scope of Practice for more information regarding situations that call for referrals. Students may schedule a Referral appointment at the PCCC for assistance.
- Go to Thriving Campus and use the “change” feature on the top left part of the screen beneath the College Address to put in your home address and us the filters to find look for a psychiatrist.
- Use your insurance company’s “Find a provider” function on their website.
- Call the toll free number on the back of your insurance card for a list of providers.
- Use Zocdoc to find a provider in the area who takes your insurance and has an open appointment in the immediate future.
Keep in mind your transportation needs:
Students who will rely on The Loop bus service for off campus appointments should ask for providers in White Plains or Port Chester. Students with other means to get off campus can ask for a list of therapists near Purchase, NY.
Prepare to call providers to schedule an appointment
Before making the call: who do you need? psychiatrist (a medical doctor) or psychiatric nurse practitioner to prescribe medication; a therapist to provide mental health counseling; or both
- Have your insurance information at hand
- Have a list of symptoms for which you are seeking help
- Know the days and times you are available for appointments
Calling the provider
Be ready to leave a message with your name and number – many providers in private practice have answering services and will call you back; be prepared to call more than once.
When you are speaking with a provider or clinic staff:
- Verify that the provider takes your insurance
- If they do not take insurance, ask for a Sliding Scale fee
- Ask how long each session will be
- Ask if there is a separate fee for intake than for the follow up sessions
- Ask how much your co-pay (your out-of-pocket fee each session) will cost
- Ask if there is paperwork that you need to fill out before your first session
- If you have had previous treatment and you want continuity of care, be prepared to share your previous treatment providers contact information and to sign a consent to release information.
*Another resource for finding a psychiatrist can be found on the wikihow website.