Practice Updates: COVID-19
Latest Updates from the Counseling Center (09/17/2021)
The Counseling Center offers telecounseling procedures which include email, phone and secure videoconferencing. Regular in-person appointments are currently suspended. Students off campus should seek care in your local community or request a follow up contact by staff for help with local referrals. Please check our website for more information about how our services and availability may change in response to public health or college requirements.
If you would like contact with a counselor please email us at COU.firstname.lastname@example.org, or call and leave a clear message at (914)251-6390. Our office is open and we are monitoring both email and phone.
The Counseling Center’s telecounseling services are in alignment with state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to mental health services and professional ethical guidelines. Interested students located in New York state, with personal technology to support Zoom, should email or phone our office to request services. Out of state students who would like assistance in locating a referral should also contact the office. For immediate needs, we recommend you seek care in your local community. Learn more about how to find a therapist in your area on our Referrals page.
Self Care Suggestions
As we adjust to a novel situation it’s important to continue self-care routines as mentioned in the CDC guidance on managing stress related to health news. In addition, use the power of social media for good and beware of overuse that worsens anxiety or depression. Below are some online tools that may help to de-stress and cope with emotional challenges while maintaining social distance:
- Everyone with a campus email account has free access to Therapy Assisted Online (TAO). TAO offers coping skills and distress management via TAO’s interactive, self-guided modules and the Mindfulness Library on the “Self-Help” dashboard
- HeadspaceNY Free Mindfulness Meditation app in NY during the COVID-19 crisis
- Consider adding an app. Options from a top 25 specifics list describe products by type of concern and cost. This short list gives details and prices from a “top 7” review
- Guide to Living with Anxiety and Worry Amidst Global Uncertainty
- Compiled list of crisis and self help resources for support off campus
- Looking for specific LGBTQ+ support? Check out the Program Calendar at Triangle Community Center in Norwalk, CT for more information about the Zoom social spaces that are open:
- Young Adult Chat (18-25): March 25th at 6:30pm
- LBTQ Women’s Social: March 26th at 6:00pm
- Love = Respect: March 27th starting at 6:00pm
- Transgender & Gender Questioning Youth Forum: March 29th starting at 3:00pm (contact Program Leader, Micaela S. email@example.com, for Zoom meeting link)
- Queer ARTreach: April 5th at 3:00pm
- Coffee Talk: Meets every Tuesday at 11am
- Triangle Transgender Society: Meets every Tuesday at 7pm
Rainbow Writers: April 9 at 7pm
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
As always, please call UPD at 914-251-6911 in an emergency if you are on campus, or call 911 if you are in the United States off-campus.