In addition to fulfilling general degree requirements, undergraduate students majoring in the visual arts BS program must complete the following requirements (55 credits), as outlined below:
Foundation Courses: 16-17 credits
VIS 1050/ComX: 2 credits
or VIS 2150/Key Class: 1 credit
VIS 1060/Foundation Drawing: 3 credits
VIS 1070/Extended Media: 3 credits
VIS 1080/Visual Language: 3 credits
VIS 1260/3-D Processes: 3 credits
VIS 1330/Lens and Time: 3 credits
Art History Courses: 12 credits
ARH 1020/History of Art Survey II
ARH —/One course in the history of art prior to 1800 (lower-level)
ARH —/Art history elective (modern/contemporary)
Studio Electives: 17-18 credits
V —/Visual arts studio electives: 5-6 credits
V —/Visual arts studio electives (upper level): 12 credits
Synthesis Courses: 9 credits
VIS 2880 or 3880/BSVA Seminar I or II: 3 credits
SPJ 4990/Senior Project I: 3 credits
SPJ 4991/Senior Project II: 3 credits
Updates to the 2016–20 Purchase College Catalog
Effective Fall 2019:
- VIS 1050 is now a 2-credit course.
Effective Fall 2017:
- VIS 2150 is now required for all transfer students (freshmen take VIS 1050).
- The 4-credit, upper-level art history requirement is eliminated.
- Students must take either VIS 2880 (sophomore year) or VIS 3880 (junior year).
- SPJ 4990 and 4991 are reduced from 4 credits each to 3 credits each.